Say goodbye to the NCAA as you know it.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by nickmsmith, Aug 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

seems you are less than detached in your judgement

I understand

nobody can tell me EG dont deserve to be in the NFL HoF

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Part of that is geography really. Most people would rather be in a warmer climate....the South/SEC. Of course you would think the University of Hawaii would be able to take advantage of that also....

3. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

18 year old's are not physically prepared to do that.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

well it would expose the NCAA for the scam it is

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

LBJ?

[​IMG]

6. Razorbacks

Razorbacks #WooPIgSooie

I wouldnt get too worked up about the player pay thing until it is discussed in a little more detail. Even within the Power 5, there would have to be some regulation on player pay to make things fair or it would just be total chaos .. and no one wants that.

I still think the best way to pay college athletes is for all participating schools to agree on a fixed amount across the board and no one school pays any more than another.. so in theory, it would be a non-issue

It seems like its just the idea of universities paying collegiate athletes anything at all that make everyone panic
    [​IMG]

7. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

They do that now....it is called a scholarship.

This whole thing just irritates me. People act like a free education is nothing when whining about compensation. With room and board this is probably close to $40K/year per scholarship player.

As someone who went into debt to get my degree, I don't begrudge a scholarship player his right to get a free education because he is earning this with his practice/game commitments. However, I really get tired of people just ignoring this when clamoring for their money.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

The problem is: A lot of these guys don't care about their degree, or getting it.

They bring in tons of money.. tremendous amounts of money for their school.. Think about how many millions VY brought into UT. 40K in "perks" doesn't equal out there. Especially when he will never use that degree. A lot of people are going to school because they have to, to be in the NFL. And they come out just as dumb as they went in. It's a farce.

They bring in tons of money.. tremendous amounts of money for their school.. Think about how many millions VY brought into UT. 40K in "perks" doesn't equal out there. Especially when he will never use that degree. A lot of people are going to school because they have to,

Someone could offer me 40K dolllars per year of free basketweaving lessons, and room and board.. and I'd rather just play for free.. this is comparable.

Most stud sure-fire NFL players are not going to use their degree... after football, they just use their celebrity status to get jobs.

9. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Seriously, you are saying that you would play for free (being responsible for your own food and expenses) rather than take that deal? I think not.

I do not disagree that many people do not place the proper value on the education, but you are painting with way too wide of a brush to generalize this to everyone. There are several people out there who parlayed their scholarship into a workable degree for post football life.

I can see the case for guaranteed scholarships (school on the hook for allowing the player to complete his degree regardless of injury and such) and maybe some consideration for family expenses in home game attendance, but beyond that I have a big problem with paying college players. Not for the integrity of the sport, but due to the fact that they are already compensated via scholarship. What they choose to do with that is on them, not the school.

10. Razorbacks

Razorbacks #WooPIgSooie

A lot of these kids were broke enough at home with their families when they were playing HS ball.. now they have moved away from home and are even broker (free room and board or not).

As far as how much players are already compensated in scholarships.. we can try to add up all the arbitrary dollar amounts that the university would normally charge a student for tuition, boarding, etc.. or we can consider how much these services actually cost the institution before all the mark-ups and compare that with how much revenue their players are generating.

This is the sort of thing that is at the core of the player pay debate. I dont think that they should be paid a lot, but for as much work as they put in to drive revenue for the university.. an allowance doesnt seem unreasonable

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar