Rookie Griffin Making Impact on Special Teams

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What if?

I wonder how things would have gone had we taken bowe with our first pick. Already he is averaging 75 yards a game receiving with 3 TDs! I would have been against taking a WR in rd 1 but he looks like he is going to have a great career.

With bowe as our first rd pick we probably only draft one more WR and almost certainly don't use our third on p williams. We also probably don't bother signing moulds.

2. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Tide- the positive about the injuries is that both guys get a free yr to learn the system and to bulk up on their upper body strength. The injuries prevented them from being possible cuts this yr.

One thing people need to remember is that it is a very long season compared to college. By having Griffin focusing more on STs now we are saving some of the wear and tear. He should have fresh legs come the end of the season and playoffs instead of hitting the rookie wall.

3. vyoung10

vyoung10 Guest

i say we use griffin in the nickel spot? i mean vincent fuller did have a pick in the saints game but he was johnny on the spot. He was burned by dallas clark in the slot every down it seemed that we ran a nickel. i think he could come out and play better at the nickel position than finnigen did.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Nickel is usually for smaller quicker guys and is different enough a position you can't just automatically take your best corner off the bench and put him there. I can imagine seeing reynaldo there rather than griffin..

I don't know why everyone is so impatient(2004 the exception). griffin has a whole career to go. If he doesn't start this season because the guys out there are playing well so be it, as jeff said a positive. His time will come but why so much angst about him not starting? I gave the 2 examples of rolle and bulluck. They turned out fine didn't they?

Next year harper won't likely start and will be gone altogether after 08. griffen could still be a starter at corner for us.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I would say there is almost zero chance we take a WR in the first round unless the team tanks and we get a top 10 pick or something. Even then I don't see it. If we didn't pull the trigger in the first round this year what makes you think our GM would next?

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree the NB can't be some big SS guy, 225 pound because he will not be able to stay with WRs very well but who is playing there now for us? Fuller is more of a FS, not an NFL CB and you are saying Griffin can't play there when he is a legit outside CB? The fact Fuller is playing there proves they want a guy who has CB abilities but also can be like a S against TEs, RBs and play the run. The idea of Hill playing there is totally wrong. Hill is a wimp against the run and will never play NB (never has either). If Griffin has outside CB coverage skills he sure as heck can play NB and in fact is perfect for the job. You get the best of both worlds, a CB who can cover slot WRs (I bet better than Fuller) AND an extra S in the run game.

7. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Also, a lot of teams are now sliding their bigger receivers into the slot WR position in passing situations, rather than the previous trend of your quick, fast guy playing slot. (e.g. Matt Jones in Jacksonville, Drew Bennett in St Louis etc and even Dallas Clark in Indy).

Nickel backs need to be physical enough to cover big receivers as well.

Clark had a couple of big catches against us when we played the Colts when the Colts came out in base offense (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR) and we came out in 4-3 base defense. The Colts would split Clark wide and Thornton couldn't cover him.

Next time we play the Colts, if Griffin was in the Nickel, our base defense should be the nickel because Griffin would be much better suited to covering Clark. Add to that Griffin's run support means that we don't lose much against the run when we go to ur nickel defense.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree 100%. Playing a team like the Colts you have to respect the slot, be it Clark or a WR. Clark is eating teams up, not just the Titans. A guy like Griffin gives you what amounts to a "big" nickel which is more like having 3 Ss but he has CB skills. The guy is perfect for it. Our base defense against the Colts should really have Griffin as literally taking Thorntons' spot with Thornton or Fowler going in the middle depending on the down and distance. Thornton isn't a huge point of attack guy anyway. You could also blitz Griffin occasionally just to lay a welt on Manning.

9. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

No way Bowe has that same type of production here in TN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar