Reduced fan access to training camp

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by nigel, Jul 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

I was looking at this years training camp schedule, when only nine practice are open to the public. That got me thinking about how it used to be that almost every practice was open to the public, so I went back and looked at the last six years of training camp schedules to see how many practices were open to fans…

2010 – 18
    2011 – 15 (first year of new/reduced practice rules)
    2012 – 12
    2013 – 12
    2014 – 8 (first year under Wisenhunt)
    2015 – 9

It would seem that for a team that really ought to be desperate to engage with and increase it’s fan base, limiting access to training camp is the wrong way to do it.

Wisenhunt in general just seems a lot less invested in this community than Fisher and Munchak were. After 15 plus years of having a coaches show in public wear fans could meet the coach and players, he now does his weekly coaches show from BSP. He also doesn’t seem to be doing any kind of public charity event like Fisher (softball game) and Munchak (bowling tournament) did. Granted, I’m more concerned with success on the field than I am with community interaction, but so far he’s given us the worst season in Titans history in that department.

I know the team has done a lot more outreach events with season ticket holders (Titans Tuesday, draft party, etc), and still does the Titans Caravan, but they are leaving a lot on the table when it comes to engaging their fan base. It’s just one more reason why it’s getting harder and harder to be a Titans fan.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Whiz is just one of those older coaches that has been to more than a couple of teams. This usually makes new coaches reluctant to get to heavily involved in the community, and I wouldn't either if I knew this was a make or break season for me. Only people who plan to dig deep roots here would be up for those kind of things.

#2 Aqutis30, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  3. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

Plan was to have about 13 open practices till he was forced to draft the duck.

• Boring Boring x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
    • Troll Troll x 1
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

We don't have the same following heading into 2015 that we used to, not surprising that they'd cut back on open practices. And also reducing the days fans can come in a see what's happening keeps other teams from catching on to what we're doing. After 2-14 I'll take any advantage I can get if I'm the Titans.

Besides, how many 95° days do fans plan on attending anyways?

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Dee

Dee Pro Bowler

You think this is a make it or break it year?

Near the end of last year I said he would get at least 3 years.

But another 2-5 win season, it might be his last

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

It's never been empty, at any time I've gone.. But it's been at least 2-3 years since I've found it to be worth the nearly 5 hour round trip. It used to be a lot of fun. I think the last time I went, Kenny Britt was signing autographs, and I thought to myself "Why would I want this dirtbag's autograph?"

7. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Totally agree....IMO the days of 3 year minimums on coaching contracts are getting shorter. Another season like last season, and, more importantly, another season where he looks completely lost like he did last season, and he is gone IMO.

8. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

It potentially could be. If we win say 8+ games I think he will be ok, but win less than that and I think he is in deep trouble. Him and Ruston.

9. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Going to camp is awesome. I go every year. Even the best seat at Nissan Stadium doesn’t get you as close as you get at camp. There’s just a chain linked fence separating you from the action.

I do agree that Whisenhunt seems unconcerned with fan interaction. His coaches radio show on 104.5 is broadcast from Baptist Sports Park now – under Fisher and Munchak it was broadcast from O’Charley’s in Brentwood. I would go a few times a year to that because I worked right next to O’Charley’s. Then he’s no longer broadcasting his Coach’s tv show from a live location either (used to be Opry Mills until the flood). And I could be wrong, but I don’t think he went out on the Titans Caravan either. I met Munch on the caravan one year but don’t remember if Fisher ever did it. All that to say, Whis seems less interested than any coach we’ve had at giving the fans access to him and the players.

• High Five High Five x 3
  10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Whiz has distanced himself from the fans, I'll agree on that all day..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar