QB Wonderlic scores

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TorontoTitanFan, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

I just took the "official" wonderlic test and got a 40.

You can't really sit there and think about them.

Anyway, 8 out of 10

2. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Both. Are you honestly going to say that in football, quickly processing information and getting the best possible answer as FAST as possible is not anywhere near as important as just knowing the answer?

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Johnny met billy

Johnny met Jane

Did Billy meet Jane?

1. True
    2. False
    3. Uncertain

How dumb or illiterate would somebody have to be not to get a question like that right? You read the questions and answers through 2-3 times and answer 3. Takes 5-6 seconds tops. Do that 7-8 times in the 5 minute 20 question test and you just scored a 17.5-20.

So i can understand why a team might not want to use a super high draft pick and invest tens of millions of dollars on a QB who can't at least do that.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. 24

24 Starter

Did anyone mention that Gabbert actually scored a 31? Pretty big difference, and it would also imply that he falsely insinuated his 42 in his interview with Florio. Condon is really working the media, and there have been whispers that Condon is the one spreading false rumors about Mallett.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'd buy that, he's a top agent because his rookies always go early on draft day. Might be because of the same business practices you mention.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Fyi...

The Wonderlic is NOT supposed to be an indicator of who you SHOULD draft, it is an indicator of who you SHOULD NOT draft.

There is no correlation between a QB scoring a 50 and that equaling an elite NFL QB. But it IS a strong indicator of a QB very likely not succeeding! The benchmark is either 25 or 26 depending on who you talk to.

Of the scores we know, the best QB's in the last decade who scored under 25 are Garrard, Vince Young, Campbell, and Carr. Not exactly world beaters! More importantly, would you take any of them in this years first round?

To put it another way, in the last 10 Super Bowl's, of the 20 teams playing, only ONE QB had a wonderlic under 25 and that was McNabb (who didn't win). In fairness, I don't think there are scores for Warner or Delhomme.

So if you're drafting a QB in rnd 1 and especially in the top 10, you want a stud. It is HIGHLY unlikely Locker or Newton will be that...and that's not their ONLY red flags!!!

JUST SAY NO to NEWTON, LOCKER, and GABBERT!!!

Gut

7. JCBRAVE

So..... Vince should stay?

Sorry Alex, couldn't resist.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Um...no.

Gut

9. JCBRAVE

I tend to enjoy your posts, and I can't recall your feelings on all these potential QB's we could have, but who then would you pursue?

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Ah...

Thanks!

The most impressive QB of this class that I've seen is Mallett. He is huge and has an absolute cannon and he can make throws others can't make. However, when you delve into his stats (even before the character issues), there are some red flags. He reminds me of Cutler a bit but with maybe more baggage and less leadership skills...and that's saying something!

Without knowing their interview or character issues being ok or not, I'd look to get Stanzi in the 2nd or 3rd round. I think one or more of the 'elite' QB's will fall into rnd 2 but I like Stanzi's size, stats (both overall and against top competition) and he has all the measureables. If Mallett convinced me he can make better decisions both on and off the field, I would take a flyer on him in round 3 but someone will draft him in rnd 2 (if not 1 because of his arm - not his head). I am somewhat worried someone will draft Stanzi ahead of us at the end of round 1 (to groom behind Brady) or before we pick in rnd 2. I have a feeling he won't make it to us in rnd 2 but he COULD fall into the third if the 'expert anointed elite' all go as early as some predict.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar