QB Wonderlic scores

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TorontoTitanFan, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I know, I know. Wonderlic scores aren't everything. They do matter in some instances, though (Vince Young).

I think you can get a lot more valuable info from low Wonderlic scores than from high ones. Lots of QBs come into the league with very high Wonderlic scores and end up failing. Not too many QBs come in with super low scores and end up succeeding (although there have been a few, such as Dan Marino).

Anyhow, here are the scores from this year, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

McElroy 43
    Gabbert 42
    Ponder 35
    Stanzi 30
    Dalton 29
    Mallett 26
    Newton 21
    Locker 20

The biggest thing that jumps out to me is Locker at the bottom. Perhaps his intangibles aren't quite what they have been made out to be.

The second thing that jumps out is that all the scores are pretty good. 24 is the average for QBs. Guys are clearly prepared for the test (and they should be--lots of money is riding on it). This just makes it even more apparent how pathetic it was that Vince Young bombed the test. It's not a hard test and you will put up a good score if you do even a small amount of prep work (unless you are just a complete moron).

2. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

McElroy is like the anti-VY. He had a 50, then he had a 47, now a 43. He'll be at like a 26 by draft day.

3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'd like to take this Wonderlic test someday. From what most people say it's completely worthless and proves nothing.

What does surprise me is that Mallett is not on the bottom. Everyone claims Mallett is "stupid", but yet he scored better than Newton and Locker. Does that make Newton and Locker stupid(er)? :)

4. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I guess it makes Mallet "pretty stupid", Newton "pretty real stupid", and Locker "really pretty stupider"....OR, it may just be an arbitrary indicator that really does not differentiate between someone getting in the upper 20s and someone getting in the lower 20s.

I agree, I would like to see this test someday.

5. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

You should be able to find a full test. I've taken it twice, one a practice test just kind of dicking around, and once on a job interview.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

The intangibles the scouts talked about with Locker were his leadership, work ethic, and character. He is smart, not McElroy smart, but smart enough.
    The thing that jumped out to me was Mallett. Maybe he is just more of a country boy, and that's why he comes across dumb to some in interviews.

7. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

A version of the test is easy to find online.

8. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I just took a practice test and got a 35.

9. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Dang, I would of never thought to google it. Fail by me.

10. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

xpmar9x I'm digging your version of our draft. I'd be stoked if we walked away with Bowers, Mallett and McCarthy in the first 3 rounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar