Pre-Game Thread Postgame: Titans vs Packers

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Preditan, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

His catch rate was good.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

:cool2:

3. Titan_Terry

Titan_Terry Guest

My question is why haven't we released Akeem Ayers?

4. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Well I missed the game, But NFL network is replaying it on Wednesday and I got the DVR set to record ... Then I will be able to comment

Yeah!! so excited for the game on Wednesday ... I wonder what will happen?

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

He does look like crap so far

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Fairweather Fan

Fairweather Fan Pro Bowler

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

After re-watching the 2nd half, here are some thoughts...

QB
    Whitehurst A. While he was dinking and dunking in the first half, he was throwing to WR's and TE's past 10 yds in the 2nd half. Mariani dropped 2 nice throws but Robiskie didn't. And the corner route to Thompson he didn't see in the first half he threw perfectly. Only reason this isn't an A+ is the fumbled snap.
    Met B. The INT was on Battle. The fumble was on Met. I'll cut him some slack because he's a rookie and learning a new offense and his first NFL game but a few times he was slow on his read/progression. One bomb he put too much air under it (probably from him moving on the throw). But he showed a strong arm and that he can make very tight throws....especially on a slant and that throw to Robiskie deep down the middle. His talent is a lot higher then he was drafted so he needs to keep his off the field stuff together!

RB
    Sankey A. Give him a crease and he can gash you. Pass pro as a rookie learning a new offense playing his first NFL game? No prob! They aren't respecting me as a pass catcher? TD!!! Easy to see why they took him. He does everything well. He doesn't have CJ's speed, but he has better vision, more power and better hands. Will be a nice mismatch problem for Whiz this year!

TE
    TE will definitely get more Wycheck era #'s I think. Walker and Thompson are mismatch problems with Stevens contributing too. Schepler looked good catching the ball. Not as good blocking.

WR
    Robiskie A+. Caught a great pass deep down the middle in clutch time. Also did some nice run blocking on the outside.
    Preston also blocked well and was open several times.

OL
    Struggled (except for Lewan) when they first got in the game but got it together. Lewan looked like he was playing in college...and the 2's and 3's are a step up. Need more consistency from the interior backups but they looked better on the pulling plays then the mano a mano. The concern is, with Spencer down, who is their best backup interior OL for gameday? Lewan could play OG and OT.

DL
    Edwards A-. Had arguably the most dominant single play on the sack. He was double teamed and blew past them showing his power/speed/technique. Needs more consistency. But definitely has the upside for a starting role/sub pass rusher.
    Klug B. Probably best used as a sub and situational pass rusher. Great burst and motor!

OLB
    Ayers C-. Occasionally I see a flash and he somewhat looks the part, but he doesn't have a play like Edwards had where he can show his upside is above the backup competition level. He also gave up outside contain on a TD run to the outside. That CAN'T happen! Has more talent then Bailey, but he's not getting enough out of it.
    Bailey B-. Doesn't really have the talent/athleticism for a starting spot, but a very high effort player who gets more out of his ability then most. A good tone setter. A solid backup and a good special teamer.
    ILB
    Williamson C. Not as good as what I had hoped. Like a lot of Titans adjusting to a new system/scheme, he looked a step slow his first series or so. Got better as the game went on. Needs to look at how Brown and Woodyard ATTACKED in this game. On the TD run, he got blocked out of the play 5yds down the field. That can't happen...especially versus a TE. He will get better.

DB
    Wooten INC. Not enough to really grade him but he looks like the heir to Griff assuming Wilson doesn't stick around more then another year. Will have to make it on ST or beat out Wilson.
    Huff C-/D+. I've seen a lot of people praising him so I wanted to re-watch the tape before commenting. On the 2 pt conversion he got as roasted as you can get (lucky his guy dropped it). Later in the game, they ran the same play (his guy ran an out) and his guy was again wide open. Not good. Also, there were 2 blown coverages where the ball was caught just under him or just over him. Since I don't know what coverage they were in specifically, I can't give him all the blame....but the coaches will know if they were on him or not. Showed some decent play as a S so maybe he and Wooten are vying for a backup/ST spot to stay. Needs to show better man to man skills...even for a S!

Coaching A. Again, I saw adjustments on offense AND defense. And even without game planning this opponent, it was a good sign to see our offense AND defense pick it up in the 2nd half!!! And I liked that they kicked the extra point to get the snap/holder/kicker some work. Since it's pre-season, more important to get them game work.

All things considered, a good effort. The team can not start slow out of the box and work it's way into the game. Tackling and basic run fit fundamentals need to be addressed and looked like they were in practice. While the players who shined havent won anything, they do have a great first look with the others needing to catch up!

Gut

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

One guy I really noticed was Taylor Thompson, as many have already pointed out. I'm really hoping it wasn't a case of playing against 2s and 3s, and more so about him taking a step in development. Having 2 skilled TEs who can block and pass would be dangerous.

9. Fairweather Fan

Fairweather Fan Pro Bowler

Nevermind. I just saw the throw. It was bad.

10. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

I still can't over how slow the defense looked the first couple of series. It was like they where all 2 steps slower than the Packers slowest player. Turn it up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar