Playing safety...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

I thought the guy we drafted out of utah robert johnson was going to be a real playmaker. He was a great S. in college. I would still like to see him off the practice squad and see if he is not a diamond in the rough. Fact of the matter is S, is a major weakness of the titans defense. I like our corners but our safety play has been terrible for a number of years.

2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Improve the DL through FA then draft Barron and bring back Griffin.

3. bigdogtitan

bigdogtitan Camp Fodder

I think a good team has one hard hitting,tough in the box SS, and a ball hawk at FS. The hard part is finding safetys {2} who can do it all. Good defenses just rotate guys according to the opposition.

4. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Barron is out still July / august with a double sports hernia.

5. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I would actually prefer a safety to be extremely physical, making every tackle, dominating anyone who comes near him. Griffin is an average ball hawk with poor tackling skills.

Other than Reed and Polamalu, I can't really think of a dominating safety in the league. They're may not even be one. Who's the next best after those two? Landry, Bethea, Weddle? It's more important to have a great front 7. Think about it... Ravens and Steelers - great front 7 with great safeties who benefit from that fierce front 7.

6. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

I say it's probably 98% we go D line with our first pick, and probably within the front 7 with the second.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I've always liked the idea of letting our FS play center field while the SS sniffs out the ball and helps underneath.

If Hope could run better, and Griffin could catch better, we'd be set, but they can't so here we are debating what to do at safety.

Robert Johnson has to come on otherwise we should cut him.

8. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

you have 2 of em, SS and FS, ideally you'll like them both to b good at everything.

but, thats a tough one, so its good to have 1 as more of a coverage guy and the other as your more physical presence...

I want to say something about the position. At the end of the season i thought both of our original starters (Grif/Hope) were not so good and was OK with finding new guys.

but really, after watching the playoffs (which is the time i start watching other teams) i saw a lot of safeties struggling. i think all those new rule changes have actually made it harder for safeties than CBs.

Also, i think its especially hard to be a safety when there is little or no pass rush (again maybe even more so than CB). When i think about all the good safties and i look at their D, their rush was usually incredible (think of reed, troy, kerry when the jets had a rush).

When we had a good D and pass rush in our Big Al/KVB days, Griff/Hope were far more effective players on the field and it showed statistically.

9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I totally agree that the pass rush makes or breaks the secondary. My feeling though is that you should really play with 3 CBs and a FS. If you have a SS who is a liability in coverage then QBs and OCs will exploit that mismatch. QBs are just too good these days.

10. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

sure...but i think the rule changes have much more to do with it...

there were some 'old skool gun slingers' who as QBs looked as good back than as they do now. oh yeah, and thats with a chance they can be 'whacked' on any given play (even if they got rid of it quick)...

hey, at least there are less 3 hour games where 0/1/2 TD(s) are scored.......

but at the same time, in 10 years at this rate, scores of shootouts r going to resemble basketball scores (hyperbolic i no...but watevr)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar