Play him or trade him...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ShoTym, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

It's not a matter of like/hate. I believe a lot of the pro-Vince guys feel the fans that believe Vince is a bad choice for this team believe we 'hate' Vince. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I dont feel alone when I say that we don't 'hate' or even dislike the guy. He is one of the best athletes in the game and one of the best college players in history. I just simply believe this team would be a better today, and even more so moving forward, without him on the roster in the NFL during a salary cap period.

2. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

I understand completely turnovers hurt. I also understand that our qb was in his 2nd year and he should improve on cutting down the turnovers. Do you still not understand that qbs develop, especially when they're considered a project?

Flacco had 3 interceptions tonight, guess he's done.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

he should play the Lions a lot, a whole lot.

4. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

A statistician would tell you that if a guy had twice as many INT's as TD's over the course of a season, that would mean one of 3 things. Either he was in a high octane offense with high risk, he played from behind a lot which is a higher risk, or he is just simply not any good.

Here are other young QB's

Joe Flacco heading into this game: 15 TD's, 12 INT's
    Tyler Thigpen: 18 TD's, 12 INTs
    Jay Cutler: 25 TD's, 18 INT's
    Matt Ryan: 18 td's, 13 ints

Here are other qb's similar to Vince's 9/17 ratio in 2008 (I've yet to find one even remotely close to double the INT's as TD's):
    Gus Frerotte: 12/15 (benched)
    JT Osullivan 8/11 (benched)

I want to know EXACTLY what you see in this 'potential' that VY shows you. Compare him to another successful quarterback, I want a REASON to believe he will succeed.

5. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

And yes, if every single game he threw 1 td vs 2 int's, i would not trust him in a conservative, defensive minded team especially where turnovers are maybe the most critical errors that can be made.

And, guess who won the game he threw 3 int's in? THE OTHER TEAM. You are getting my point it seems - you can't win if you have a guy who is going to be throwing the ball to the other team. And, in 2007, we had THE GUY who did it most.

6. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

VY has not given us a reason to believe he will succeed, but he has absolutely shown that he can. Remember, in 2006 he turned an 0-5 team to an 8-8 team more or less by himself. He did struggle greatly after that, but for a good reason. He struggled because instead of winning by running the ball and gashing them on 3rd and 10 relentlessly (which we all know you love to hate Nate), he tried to drop back and make reads, and had a tough time at it. In fact, he had a terrible time. BUT, he was trying to do the right thing. Reading defenses takes a while to grasp for any QB, especially one that didn't play in an NFL-type, under center, drop-back-while-reading type offense. Now, he just saw exactly what he needs to do from the front row. And it didn't require too much. Kerry won us the Jacksonville game, the Colts game, and the Bears game, otherwise, he merely didn't lose the game, and that's all we need.

VY 2007 Stats: 62% completion, 2,550 yards, 9 TD, 17 INT
    KC 2008 Stats: 58% completion, 2,675 yards, 12 TD, 7 INT

Not a resounding difference, equal yards, VY stunk it up in the TO:TD ratio, but actually completed a higher percentage of passes. In other words, VY needs to get better at reading D, not throwing the ball. Reading D is something a QB can improve on. If a QB can't throw the ball, he's hopeless. If Vince could cut his INT in half and throw say 5 more TD's, he's going to get it done, and in a major way. He's got a much better ground game to rely upon, and a much better defense to bail him out then he's ever had before.

Now it's up to him to study, watch film, ask questions, and prove that he's ready to learn. Pair KC-esque passing stats with VY's last ditch option to run the ball for 30 yards on any given play, and we have ourselves a playmaker. I won't even delve into the option of a Wildcat formation or trick plays with 2 QBs and 2 RBs, but that's also something to think about...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar