Pick #5 of the 2017 NFL Draft: WR Corey Davis, Western Michigan

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Breaking earlier on his route wouldn't have put him 10 yards ahead of where he was. And the ball was exactly where he was running toward in his route, just a bad overthrow. Both of these are obviously on Mariota and Davis could have put up around 100 more yards if his QB was more accurate. Just wanted to show some actual game tape instead of looking at numbers and immediately blaming Davis.

2. SanDiegoTitan

SanDiegoTitan Starter

The WR position is a nuance position... routes are on timing/chemistry. Perhaps its a bit of both, Davis not being in the right spots because of wasted movement and MM8 trying to adjust and just not being on same page.

Highly doubt its one's fault over the other's, but if I had to put weight to one it would be Davis... the one that has missed an entire off season and pretty much half a season. Thats OK.

He's a STUD and will take some games/practice time to get ironed out.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  3. TitanWally

TitanWally Starter

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

You want me to pull the tape on the balls that were within his radius, he got a hand on and didn't bring in? Because there are more of them than the two plays you have linked. And on those plays you've shown, how do you know the ball wasn't where it was supposed be? Davis could have been jammed, Davis broke inside instead of outside toward the sideline, etc. Mariota was rushed in the pocket on one- so timing might have been an issue. But for you to hang Davis's lack of production on Mariota when other WR's are catching more balls is completely inaccurate.

You're missing the point completely. He has a lower completion % than the other WR's with the same QB. I'm not down on Davis as it pertains to his quality. I agree that has YET to be determined.

What is indisputable is that we have not received production from him worthy of the #5 overall pick. Yet. You had the same problem arguing/defending Dodd on the same principle. I don't think Davis will bust like Dodd. I am not yet convinced, however, based on his production thus far, that he was worth the #5 overall pick. That opinion could easily change if he makes some big plays including contested balls. That is why we used our #5 overall pick on him. We need him to produce THIS season as top 5 picks are supposed to do.

5. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

We obviously disagree about whether or not an off target throw that the receiver can only get a couple of fingers on should be caught or not. I watched every target to Davis, one of them the argument could be made he should have caught, albeit during a diving attempt.

We both agree that we have been inefficient while targeting him. The coaching staff has been forcing the connection IMO instead of letting Mariota make throws that he's comfortable with. Hopefully that will be kept to a minimum tonight.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. Riverman

Agree that I hope he will contribute in a big way tonight and the upcoming games. Nearly all WR’s will agree if you can touch it you should catch it. I bet Davis does as well. I don’t doubt he wants to produce for the team worthy of the #5 pick.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

-Rotoworld

Thank goodness we went with Davis over Ross, at the very least. Davis can definitely play, he just needs to stay healthy.

Ross is over there quitting on routes and a healthy scratch more often than not when he's not injured.

8. Riverman

Yeah- he totally quit on that route. I remember the play specifically.

9. Young54

Young54 Starter

Dude those two incompletions are clearly on Mriota. No doubt about it. Can't deny it.

On the second play he feels false pressure and panics. He had the time to read, set, and throw, but he didn't. Instead he hesitated, jumped back, and threw a bad pass. He had three receivers wide open if he would of just remained cool in the pocket.

An argument can be made that the DB held Davis for a split second which led to the overthrow, but from my perspective, it is not enough to excuse the bad pass. IMO MM needs to work on progressing through his reads more efficiently and more consistent accuracy. I'm sure the more he gets to practice with Davis their chemistry will build.

10. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

The problem is that this scheme stinks. Decker has been productive no matter the QB in his career, yet he's due for less than half the yards of a typical season for him, and 4 fewer YPC. We have two players catching the vast majority of the balls this year, and neither are in pace to hit 1,000 yards. It's just an unproductive passing attack which really has no excuse at this point. I think we'll have to accept that it will be tough for Davis to break out as long as Exotic Smashmouth is around.

Jared Cook has more receiving yards than Delanie. Let that sink in.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar