New laptop time (Windows 8?)

Discussion in 'Gear' started by SawdustMan, Jul 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

So I'm in the market for a new laptop. I jumped ship from Mac a few years ago, and though I'm honestly tempted to go back, I think I'm going to stick with PC. Looks like they're pretty much forcing you to go with Windows 8 at this point.

It seemed most people weren't too crazy about it initially. What does everyone who's used it awhile think about it now? Are you used to it? Do you still prefer the old interface? This laptop is going to be for about 50% business (run Adobe CS, Quickbooks, etc), 40% d*cking around on goTitans, and 10% gaming.

Anyway, mainly just looking for some opinions/feedback on Windows 8. I messed around with it for a few minutes awhile back and wasn't super impressed.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Windows 8 is trash, Microsoft even knows this. Dont disappoint yourself, get windows 7.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I have 7 now. But I'm having a hard time finding new laptops with the specs I want with 7 installed.

4. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Ugh, go back to Mac. Mac Pro.
    I run 7 at work - it sucks.
    8 on the road which is just absurd.
    Or you could go with the Halt and Catch Fire PC platform if you're way into retro..

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I'm considering it. Honestly, I love the Mac OS but I went away from it on principle. Price is just absurd when put up against a comparable PC. And more importantly, I freaking hate the way they force you into upgrading computers. E.G. I'm typing on a circa 2008 Macbook this very second. Still runs great. Yet there's tons of internet content I cannot access because I'm running old versions of browsers. And I can't upgrade my browsers because I can't upgrade the OS on this laptop any further. Really sucks. And really pisses me off.

6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Windows 8 is horrible.

I would rather downgrade to XP or Vista than have to deal with the hassle of windows 8. I have 2 W8 computers now... annoying.

I sincerely hate W8... and I think they made a big mistake by trying to reinvent the wheel. They should have simply come out with a windows 8 "classic" and a windows 8 "touchscreen" version.. and made everyone's life a lot easier.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I've found the difference between Mac/PC in that regard is that after 6/7 years the Mac needs upgrading to stay current but the PC just starts falling apart.
    I have an 08 macbook pro that runs Mavericks and current safari just fine..
    Would a tablet suit your needs?

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

You're probably right about that. Still, it just sucks when you have a perfectly good computer you are effectively throwing in the garbage.

No, I'm in Illustrator and InDesign for hours on end most days. IDK, it's looking like I'm going to have to put Mac back in the running.

9. XO

XO Nevada Native

Haters

Windows 8 is great.

On my Windows tablet

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Windows 8 is what made me go with my MacBook Pro. I've had it for about a year and haven't looked back since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar