New DC

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Jan 15, 2009.

?
  1. Dave McGinnis

20 vote(s)
    48.8%
  2. Chuck Cecil

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. Someone inhouse

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. Someone from elsewhere

12 vote(s)
    29.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Ok, so if you are talking to me then you are the one who is a bit confused (again), or didn't read all the posts (yet again), or is just plain ole misquoting someone (yet again). Or you're just trying to change the subject (again) to stay away from arguing points where you look wrong at. Hey, at least you're keeping your reputation up! :ha:

One last time, I don't agree with a shift to a 34. What did I say about Romeo Crennel? I did say we should stay 43, but maybe some 34 looks can fit in at times and play to our advantage. Many 34 teams use 43 fronts at times. But if we run the same D next year with the same players, I'd be fine with keeping it all the same since it's been proven strong for 2 years.

I also said some of our guys would seem to fit a 34, some wouldn't, therefor becoming a 34 D is a bad idea.

And in case you missed it, it was AH who said what his weight was :wack:

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Hello is anyone home?

That's my point all along and you are arguing with me!!!!!

If you agree than what are you arguing about?

WTF!

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Names? 11 people voted for us getting our DC from outside the organization. Anyone have a name?

I put my 2 cents in for mcdermott. What other names are out there other than crennel who is 61, 100 lbs overweight and coaches a 3-4 that we ALL CAN AGREE is not going to happen?

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/CoachBios.asp?coach_id=10

Mcdermott is the #2 guy for jim johnson in philly. He has been with johnson for 10 years! Johnson has had the most consistent defensive record in the entire league the last decade!

People want a more agressive defense? Find someone better than a jim johnson protege.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

FYI mcdermott has worked 4 different jobs for jim johnson and the eagles defense.

Quality control-Scouts the defense..

Safety coach

Linebacker coach

Secondary coach..

Mcdermott was the point guy on the field with johnson in the booth due to a bad hip. He will be johnson's replacement when johnson retires which will be in a year or 2 since johnson is 67.

Hire him now!!!

5. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

This talk of switching to a 3-4 is absolutely crazy, its not going to happen. Why are we still talking about this?? Some of you are under the impression that switching to a 3-4 can be done overnight,it cant. The D-Lineman we have our built to get to the QB, thats what their good at and thats what the front office brought them in here to do. Asking them all of a sudden to to occupy blockers and play gap control while someone else makes a tackle is wasting their talent. You cant ask someone whos been playing with their hand on the ground their whole football career to just all of sudden drop back and play the pass,its not that simple. I dont know why some of you are obsessed with a 3-4,a 4-3 can be just as effective.

6. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

The ability to disguise the fourth rusher or overload one side and get confusion sacks like Pittsburgh and occasionally Baltimore does. I agree though, we have a pass rushing D-Line, which is the opposite of what a 3-4 D tries to accomplish. To me, a 3-4 is more effective against the Run while a 4-3 is more effective against the pass. This varies TREMENDOUSLY depending on specific personnel, but that's just my own personal, general assessment.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The key i think is to have a consistent but flexible approach and then draft the best players for it. 3-4 or 4-3 doesn't matter. MR has shown that he can draft players up front that fit what we do.

Best defensive systems the last decade..

Tampa 4-3 cover 2
    Kiffen's defense was the standard in the nfl in the early part of this decade and the colts won often with it.

Eagles Aggressive 4-3
    Jim johnson has had 7 teams in the top 10 in scoring defense in 10 years. 6 teams in the top 10 in both scoring and total defense.

Patriots 3-4
    Classic big 3-4 usually in the top 10 in scoring defense and 3 super bowls..

Steelers 3-4
    Another classic big 3-4 that always seems to be in the top 10.

Ravens have been very successful with both types of fronts.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I wonder if there is any scenario where we could lure Ron Rivera away.

He was promoted mid-season. I don't know what his situation with the Chargers is.

I guess it's unrealistic that we could get him.

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I thought my points were easily understood. In a nutshell, I'm not arguing for a switch to a 34 (sigh), I just think some of our guys are good candidates for a 34. Also, not all 34's are the same, so it's not so easy to peg guys to fit or not fit it.

10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

If new DC is not going to be CC or someone else already within the organization then I say the D is so talented ANYONE can be successful as DC. So I say Tennessee should attack the dolts/kitties/cows and promote one of their coaches to Titan DC creating instability within a division opponent if nothing else

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar