My QB rankings

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by THE_TITAN, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THE_TITAN

THE_TITAN Starter

These are my personal rankings and the rankings of experts are a lot different to mine and they will probably be right come draft day, but this is personally where I feel each QB should rank and why:

1. Jake Locker-QB-Washington (My ranking-Round 1)

[​IMG]

Jake Locker has everything you want when drafting a QB and has the talent and production to be a first round pick. At Washington, Locker did not have talent surrounding him, his receivers dropped balls constantly and he was given little to no protection. Despite this, Locker was apparantly the consensus number 1 last year....how could he have fallen down the boards when he has had another years experience which would only improve him in the long haul?...He has a solid arm, good pocket presence, a nice throwing motion and acutually has experience under center.

2. Ryan Mallett-QB-Arkansas (My ranking-Round 1)

[​IMG]

Mallett is probably the best QB in the draft in terms of raw talent, he has a rocket of an arm and has fantastic numbers in his college career. He has great size and arm strength, he goes throw progressions and is able to check down if he sees nothing downfield, he has patience in the pocket and can also anticipate throws. But he also has some negatives, he has character concerns (which have not been substantiated, therefore are not a concern in terms of this ranking), he is inconsistant with his throws and sometimes misses a receiver by quite a way, he struggles with footwork and he makes a lot of poor decisions which would go for interceptions in the NFL. All in all though, Mallett is a fantastic talent and if he does well in his interviews and at the combine then he could easily go in the first round, the only thing bringing him down the boards at the moment are his 'character concerns'.

3. Cam Newton-QB-Auburn (My ranking-Round 1-2)

[​IMG]

Cam Newton possesses raw size and natural talent, he is a winner and proved that last season by winning the national title. But, he is not the best QB, in fact, I thought he was a better RB than QB last season. But he still possesses the arm to be an NFL QB. He has elite mobility for his size, a strong arm, is realatively accurate, is hard to bring down and has good leadership. But he has maturity and character concerns, only one season of major college experience, relies too much on athleticism over fundamentals, has poor throwing mechanics, hardly any experience under center and makes only one or two reads. He certainly has the potential to be a star but is two or three years away from being a solid NFL starter, in my opinion.

4. Blaine Gabbert-QB-Missouri (My ranking-Round 2)

[​IMG]

Blaine is a good talent, but all of the 'experts' are ranking him in Round 1 (which is probably where he will go for some reason), but I just don't see him as Round 1 talent. I think he is a good prospect, but I just don't get where all the over hype came from. Blaine possesses a quick release and good throwing motion, top shelf arm strength, an ideal NFL frame, is mobile for his size and is very accurae with short range throws. But he is the product of a spread offense, runs from pressure that is not even there, doesn't go through progressions, has limited experience under centre, has no pocket presence and has only been a starter for two years. Blaine might end up being a good QB, but he is a long way from that right now which is why I have him as a Round 2 prospect.

5. Christian Ponder-QB-Florida State (My ranking-Round 2-3)

6. Colin Kaepernick-QB-Nevada (My ranking-Round 2-3)

7. Andy Dalton-QB-TCU (My ranking-Round 2-3)

8. Ricky Stanzi-QB-Iowa (My ranking-Round 3)

9. Pat Devlin-QB-Delaware (My ranking-Round 4)

10. Nathan Enderle-QB-Idaho (My ranking-Round 5-6)

11. Greg McElroy-QB-Alabama (My ranking-Round 6)

Whats your opinion?

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I'd probably go....

1. Gabbert
    2. Newton
    3. Mallett (if character concerns check out)
    4. Kaepernick
    5. Locker

Locker was projected as a number 1 pick based on potential and projected development. That development just hasn't shown. He makes the same mistakes that he made as a freshman.

3. THE_TITAN

THE_TITAN Starter

Locker is being over analysed, he would have the least chance of being a project considering the type of offense he played in in college and how well he performed with the little talent he had to utilise. I have watched tones of tape on Gabbert and the guy is never worth a 1st round selection. I think your just listening to Mayock on this one, he has jumped on the Gabbert bandwagon for no other reason than his overhype. Gabbert will go in the 1st round though, because of this hype, and knowing our luck he'll go to us which is why I chose him in our realistic mock draft. Although, if we do pick Gabbert, we will have to wait at least a season, if not more, until he can run a pro offense properly.

Edit: The reason Locker has been over analysed is because it tends to happen when your projected as the number 1 pick the previous season.

4. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

Good post...not going to knock anyone's rankings on the QBs this year as all are projects. I think it would be interesting to do a Pre-Combine and post combine ranking list. Especially because of Mallett, he will rise or fall depending on how well he interviews. Scouts have said anywhere between round 1 and 3. Anyways..here is my list, it will be way off from what a lot of people see, Cam is flying up boards, and will likely go top 8, which in my opinion is way too high, so I am leaving him off completely. I don't see us waiting past round 2 for a QB, so I'm just going 6 deep.

1. Christian Ponder: Smart, mobile, accurate, again, fits Parcells model for drafting a QB. The knocks on him are injury concerns and arm strength. He has the most riding on how he throws at the combine. Personally, while he doesn't have a + arm, it is more then adequate to make all the throws needed.

2. Jake Locker: Love his intangibles, has been compared to Tebow in that respect. The only knock on him is his accuracy, which he has been open about. The scouts and NFL personnel have told him that his accuracy issues are due to him not getting his feet set properly underneath him when he is in the pocket. His accuracy on the run is more then fine.

3. Colin Kaepernick: Again, fits the Parcells model. Very smart, athletic QB, has possibly the strongest arm in the draft. Showed great touch at the senior bowl. Scouts compare him to VY with a better attitude. Again, I was very impressed with his development during Senior Bowl week, mainly that he showed once he broke the pocket he would still keep his eyes downfield looking for WRs.

4. Ryan Mallett: This all depends on his interviews. If he passes he will go mid to late round 1, if they go poorly, he could slide into round 3.

5. Blaine Gabbert: 2 year starter, shows good accuracy in intermediate throws, lacks accuracy on the deeper ones. There was a report last week that many scouts are struggling to give him a round 1 grade.

6. Andy Dalton: One of my favorite sleepers in this draft.

5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

1. Ponder
    2. Newton
    3. Mallett
    4. Locker
    5. Gabbert
    6. Kaepernick

I think in 4 years, #1-#3 will b starters still. 4-6 will not be.

6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Gabbert has got to be the least hyped top projected QB I have ever seen.

7. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

If we draft Mallett I will strongly consider a new team. Munchak is hiring all his buddies and then goes and draft another Kerry Collins I don't think I could handle it.

1. Newton
    2. Gabbert
    3. Locker
    4. Kaepernick
    5. Dalton

8. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I think that says something. I really hope the Titans don't take a QB in the first.

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Weak.

10. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

1. Mallett- To me, work on the foot work and everything else will improve (assuming character issues at a minimum)
    2. Locker- Way too hyped last year but he hasn't progressed at all. How is he going to in the NFL?
    3. Gabbert- Just not that impressive to me.
    4. Kaepernick- If he had a quicker release he would be top 2. Everything else though.
    5. Newton- His stats are better than the QB he actually is.
    6. Dalton- sleeper.
    7. Ponder- little worried he didn't tear up the weak ACC. Also scared over past injuries.
    8. McElroy- Defended this guy quite a bit now, would love to have in the 6th.
    9. Devlin- Early favorite as the big sleeper but I don't see anything that pops out.
    10. Stanzi- ehh pass

I'm scared because I just realized I have Mallett #1. Oh lord this draft will be crazy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar