Musk alters range of some cars remotely during Hurricane

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Big TT, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/11/business/tesla-battery-irma-upgrade.html?mcubz=0

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...es-help-hurricane-irma-evacuations/651232001/

Owners of certain Model S sedans and Model X S.U.V.s noticed that the battery capacity of their electric cars had increased, giving them as much as 40 extra miles of range to outrun the deluge. Range anxiety — the fear that an electric vehicle will run out of charge before reaching its destination — can be magnified in emergency situations.

Tesla confirmed that it had remotely enabled a free software upgrade for vehicles in the path of the storm, motivated by one customer who requested the change while making evacuation plans. The free upgrade will expire on Saturday.

Ok, that's good and nice and all....my question is if you have paid for a vehicle why don't you ALREADY have access to the full extent of what ever range it has? Just asking.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

The same way your phone or playstation gets firmware updates with added features or performance improvements.

#2 Gunny, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Big TT

Yeah, I get that, my point is the battery is the battery, why wouldn't that max range be already the max range?

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Idk this to be the reason but perhaps it's to preserve the battery....

Supposedly the 2nd battery is a hidden cost of these cars 5-6 years after you first buy them.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I thought it was 10 years but yeah that is my understanding also.

at 10ish years this horribly toxic giant battery makes your oh so environmentally friendly vehicle a NOT-rolling EPA supersite

and you need a new battery that is obsolete and the new ones wont fit your old platform. Your car is unusable and Musk is laughing his arse off at your smug stupid gullible arse as you drop another load of $s into his wallet

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

My truck is five years old and has 100,000 miles on it. I'd happily get 10 years and 200,000 miles out of it and upgrade. I don't see anything wrong with that lifespan.

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

the difference is that almost 100% of a traditional vehicle is recycable. Not that 100% is but almost all can be.

that toxic battery on electric vehciles is always gonna be an obsolete toxic battery

and my Fords are just getting broken in at 10 years and 200k

8. Big TT

true...you gonna look at the new rangers I know tho

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

well I will look but I am not in the market for a 4th vehicle

I will stick with my everyday 94 Ranger, my 05 Sportrac family/road trip ride & my 97 Mustang GT.

My wife drives a 15 Focus. She believes 'new' is better.

granted driving an older vehicle there will be trips to a mechanic involved. But I like that better than the assured deprecation of a new vehicle.

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Musk is a genius

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar