Munchak says Fitzpatrick likely starter

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Quarterback Jake Locker was back taking snaps and throwing during part of Titans practice on Wednesday, but it still looks as if he’ll sit out Sunday’s game against San Francisco.

“We’re not declaring anything,” Titans coach Mike Munchak said. “We’re not saying (Locker’s) out. But we’re going forward like Ryan’s starting. But we want to see how fast Jake comes along.”

Locker was wearing a brace on his right knee on Wednesday and was still walking with a noticeable limp. But he was able to participate in all the Titans’ seven-on-seven drills and a took a few full-team snaps as well. He was officially listed as limited in practice.

Locker sprained his MCL and hip against the New York Jets in the fourth week of the season, and the diagnosis was that it would take four to six weeks to fully heal the injury. Munchak said the knee is more of the issue at this point than the hip.

“We knew the (hip) would heal pretty quickly and that the knee would be something that would last a little longer,” Munchak said. “So he’s got a brace on that, and now it’s just a matter of how well he adjusts to the brace and how his knee and hip feels.

“It’s exciting to see him practice and all that, but don’t know what that means. It’s a long way from that to playing on Sunday.”

Locker had gotten off to a good start in the first four games, with a 62 percent completion rate, six touchdowns and zero interceptions, and a quarterback rating of 99.0. The Titans have lost both games since Locker’s injury.

Munchak said the fact that the Titans have a bye week after San Francisco would also factor into the decision of whether or not Locker would play this weekend.

Also returning to the practice field on Wednesday was running back Shonn Greene, who saw limited action as well. Greene injured his knee in the second game of the season and underwent arthroscopic surgery for that.

Munchak sounded more optimistic about Greene’s chances of playing Sunday.

“I think Shonn has a chance,” Munchak said. “He’ll do more (Thursday). We’ll be positive. I hope he’s up and ready. How much he can do is another thing. But I think if things go well the next couple days, I think he has a great chance to contribute on Sunday.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

How bout both of them play and I'll be a lot more confident. Right now I'm expecting a loss.

3. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

I thought it was understood Jake was out.. I'd rather him not come back until after the bye week, bring him back too early with a hip injury and you're asking for it.

• High Five High Five x 5
  4. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

nothings understood bout jakes injury. everyone thinks its something else. get him on the field I want him to destroy the 49ers going into bye 4-3 is a whole lot better than3-4 especially after a 3-1 start

if hes ok let him play!

everyone whinging bout training wheels and what not I heard lotsa people say after the 3rd day "mac9 would be on the field this week" why not give jake a chance to prove hes a tough sob...if hes cleared that is. if hes cleared by the dr let him play we don't want him to "derrick rose" us. I understand I am in the vast majority with this but damn I wanna see 10 under center not 4 lol.

I still strongly believe either way we beat 49ers, but id feel much much better with jake out there

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

I think we all agree with you here but we are trying to be very cautious with Jake. Getting a Win vs SF is not worth risking our QB for the 2nd half of the season. The 2nd half schedule favors us which is also a factor going in to this decision too.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

And Mac9 had his career shortened which is major reason why we have never won a SuperB owl.

7. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

how do you figure.....he ended his career in Baltimore and we sucked when he left

8. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

Holy s*** I think I might be psychic. I totally proposed the possibility that the knee was more of a hinderance than the hip. Don't normally toot my own horn but this one feels good.

9. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

Beating the niners with would be great! But then again probably better to play this one safe and take it one more week into the bye that way he's fresh and ready to salvage the season once they get back.

10. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Because in addition to our cap issues the fact that we started sucking in 2004 (which was when McNair started missing games) we had huge dropoffs in our total wins and I don't think that's a coincidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar