Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by Puck, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTH

RTH Meh...

I'm going to see World War Z later today. I usually have two schools of thought on a movie - one immediately after and almost a totally different take on it a day or two later.

Usually my initial thoughts are overwhelmed by the movie - in an extreme way as loving it or hating it - but a day or two later, I come to my senses and can really pick a movie apart for what it is.

I'm curious about this because the novel was very interesting... though the author claims it is similar to his novel in name only. That sucks. I know I prefer seeing the slow-moving zombies more than the fast ones. Fast ones don't make sense to me, frankly - if your body is deteriorating, how can the joints and such handle all that strain..?

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Superman Returns was on TV.

Until they get to the boat, it's not a bad movie. I like the setting and style, and Routh as Clark/Superman. But the whole island idea is just stupid and shouldn't have been done, as well as the kid.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

I've come across that movie like 10 times on tv. Each time, they're on Lex Luthers boat. I have honest to god never seen any part of that movie where they aren't at sea.

4. XO

XO Nevada Native

A read bad movie.

Cheesy.

Brandon Routh is an awful actor.

I hate that movie. Why try to link it to those stupid old Superman movies? Stupid idea since you know... Those movies were awful.

5. RTH

RTH Meh...

Just got back from watching World War Z.

Overall... it was entertaining. My biggest issue is that I clearly saw the potential of it, but it simply didn't "get there". Now, I don't think this is a spoiler, but just in case:

It ends waaaaaay too quickly. It wasn't slow throughout the movie, but when it ended I was thinking "That's it..?" That was disappointing. Typically a movie - action movies such as this in particular - builds to a climax and when it's over, you breathe a sigh of relief and are happy as the remainder of the film closes and you are happy. This builds slowly but steadily... but it climaxes at a point I didn't think was right.

Two best ways I can think to describe it are like this...
    1. A full season of a television show. The season finale happens, but that episode, while good, felt like it was a good episode, NOT a finale. Think The Walking Dead. Season Finale was a good episode, but SUCKED as a season finale!
    2. A fireworks display. You sit through a show, and it's good... steady. Then the finale happens and you don't even realize it because it seemed no different from a few moments earlier in the show. After the finale, there is no more... the show is over and all you can think was "that's it..?"

What got me most about this was that I could EASILY see it as a series of films portraying this world-wide. Problem with that - today's film industry, anyway - is that if the first film is released in an attempt to make it the first of several, the ending has to be open-ended. Movie studios don't like to do this very often because they feel a movie with an actual ending sits better with the audience and does better for them in the long run. Also, if the first film doesn't do well... forget the others. Think The Golden Compass. Granted it wasn't a good movie, but we can forget about the other two in the series getting made - although it gets better.
    Frankly, I found myself cheering for the Israeli Soldier that joins him in the second half of the movie. Not an attractiveness-thing... I just liked her character, as simple as it was. Alright... she was definitely easy on the eyes. Screw it, I'm now a HUGE fan of her character. She made the film and didn't have to do a lot.

I've heard rumors of making a second one, a chapter 2 of sorts... so maybe her character will become more prominent in a future movie. If a second one is made, this movie becomes better, by default. If not, it remains a "pretty good" movie. (my friends and I always joked about anyone labeling anything "pretty good". It usually meant, as far as a movie is concerned, it wasn't worth seeing in the theater, but rather on TV or rental.

I tried to put the spoiler text on this... but couldn't find it. Oh well. So, that's my feelings on it, but I'll probably have a different/more thorough opinion on it in a day or two.

6/10... if they make a sequel... 7.5/10

EDIT: Nevermind, figured out the spoiler text...

6. RTH

RTH Meh...

Just thought of some additional things...

There wasn't any gore in this. You didn't see zombies tearing into flesh and ripping people apart... which I thought was good. You KNEW it was happening, but you didn't need to see it.
    The Israeli Soldier's hand is cut off, but they don't ever show the stub - which is fine because you don't NEED to see it. I actually appreciated it for this - I hate, HATE, movies that show gore for gore's sake. Pointless at times.
    The action was over-the-top. Half the time I couldn't really tell what was going on - shots were too tight, shaky and dark. I just nodded that it was happening and moved on. Wish they had tightened that up - as with many action movies.

Ok, I'll probably think of more later... I'm sure all of you can't wait...

7. Passepartout

Passepartout March Madness!

Saw two movies on Saturday.
    Now You See Me 9/10
    Monster's University 8/10

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Mystery Men- swag/10

9. XO

XO Nevada Native

VHS 2

One of the coolest horror movies I've seen in awhile. Much better than the first one (I enjoyed the first one). 7/10 would buy and watch again with friends, if I had any.

10. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

I don't get grown people being interested in/liking pixar movies.

TITS AT 0:00, NO NEED TO WATCH ANY FURTHER.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar