MLB Baseball 09 Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by PhiSlammaJamma, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Your talking about feelings and hunches? Don't bring a water pistol to a gun fight.

He went 3-1 as a starter last year with an ERA under 2.5. No he's not totally proven as a starter but he's our 5th starter, I'll take that kind of potential in the 5th slot.

He has a career ERA of 3.8 that's not the numbers a "contract player" puts up.

He couldn't hit a curve ball to save his life and he doesn't hit for a high average. He's just like every player on the Reds all home runs and no average kinda like Dunn, Phillips and Encarnaccion.

He went 8-2 last year (after a 6-0 start) before he got hurt. Keep trying but do some research first.

2. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Well, my crystal ball is out-of-order, so I guess my feelings and hunches are all I have left.

He's got all the potential in the world, but that's it. He's been crowned as the next big thing by every Yankee homer in America, and hasn't proven anything more than the next guy. Not saying you are one of those, just tired of the Joba hype-machine.

Awesome. He has also pitched 200+ innings 3 times in his career, and two of those years were contract years. Those ARE the numbers a "contract player" puts up.

Girardi will be lucky to get 20 starts out of him this year.

How do you know he doesn't hit for high average? He's a career .308 minor league hitter. Are you going to label him a low average hitter after 413 ABs?You forget that he was a 21/22 year old rookie. He's got a lot of learning to do, and he'll be just fine. I say he hits .275-.285 this year, and continues the trend upwards.

Good for him. Wins mean nothing, especially for a Yankee pitcher considering all the run support they receive.

Why didn't you bring up his 4.07 ERA or the 35 BBs in 95 innings? The BBs are alarming considering he's a placement pitcher. My water-pistol hunch still says he regresses.

3. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

[​IMG]

Silly me, I thought they meant everything. Well what do I know? I just wish I knew about baseball as much as Ubiq.

4. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Wins as a pitcher doesn't mean much, it's about ERA and WHIP. Wins can be decieving for a pitcher, especially with a high powered offense like the Sox, Yanks, etc.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Typical.

Judging a pitcher based on wins doesn't make much sense. It doesn't take a genius to realize that.

6. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Is it a keeper league?

7. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

First off the Yankees offense last year was 7 of 14 in the AL for runs scored so to call it "high powered" is very false.

Also since when is a 4.07 ERA that bad? Wang is still a damn good pitcher and the fact that I even have to debate that shows your lack of knowledge.

It will be interesting to bump these posts again when come October I'm proven right and the Reds will be competing for an above .500 record as usual.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I'm in a keeper league. 10 teams. 6 players kept each year.

right now my keepers are:
    Lincecum
    J. Santana
    Berkman
    Matsuzaka
    Webb
    Suzuki

I also have David Price. So it could get complicated.

9. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Got any pitchers? :shocked:

I'd trade Johan for a big stick while his value is high (same goes for Ichiro), and you'll probably replace Daisuke with Price in your keepers for next year. At least I would.

I had Ichiro in one of my keeper leagues but traded him straight-up for Ellsbury on Monday. Luckily for me, Ichiro just landed on the 15-day. :thumb:

Now I'm working with (10 keepers):
    Miggy Cabrera
    Berkman
    Reyes
    Chris Davis
    Manny
    Bay
    Ellsbury
    Haren
    Billingsley
    Liriano

10. Daves not here

Daves not here Camp Fodder

C C Lardbathia's Opening Day Performance

C C Sabathia's Opening Day Line
    4.1 IP 8H 6R 6ER 5BB 0Ks 0 12.46 ERA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar