MLB Baseball 09 Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by PhiSlammaJamma, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

To keep a good thing going.... here's the baseball talk thread.

I root for the Astros, but I find it hard to root for a bunch of former Steroid users and that is exactly who we are. That said, I like our lineup this year. Pitching seems sketchy.

STARTING ROTATION
    Roy Oswalt (17-10, 3.54 ERA, 32 starts, 208 IP)team’s ace
    Wandy Rodriguez (9-7, 3.54 ERA, 25 starts) broke out
    Mike Hampton (3-4, 4.85 ERA, 13 starts), who didn’t pitch a single inning in 2006 or 2007.
    Brian Moehler (11-8, 4.56 ERA, 26 starts) provide consistency
    Brandon Backe (9-14, 6.05 ERA, 31 starts) absolutely shelled

BULLPEN
    Jose Valverde (3.38 ERA, 44 SV in 51 SVO, 83 K in 74 Gm) is proven
    Geoff Geary (2.53 ERA), setup man
    Doug Brocail ( 3.93 ERA )
    LaTroy Hawkins (3.92 ERA),
    Tim Brydak (3.90 ERA)
    Doug Brocail (3.93 ERA).

INFIELD
    Lance Berkman (.312, 29 HR, 106 RBI, .420 OBP, 18 SB) MVP candidate
    Kaz Matsui (.293, 6 HR, 33 RBI, .354 OBP, 20 SB) is very good
    Miguel Tejada (.283, 13 HR, 66 RBI, .314 OBP) user
    Geoff Blum (.240, 14 HR, 53 RBI, .287 OBP) and Aaron Boone (.241, 6 HR, 28 RBI, .299 OBP).
    Ivan Rodriguez (.276, 7 HR, 35 RBI ) user.

OUTFIELD
    Carlos Lee (.314, 28 HR, 100 RBI, .368 OBP) is one of the best power hitters
    Hunter Pence
    (.269, 25 HR, 83 RBI, .318 OBP) is also a power threat
    Michael Bourn (.229, 5 HR, 29 RBI, .288 OBP, 41 SB) struggled

Lineup:

1. Michael Bourn .279 OBP as #1 batter
    2. Kazuo Matsui .360 OBP as #2 batter
    3. Miguel Tejada .414 SLG as #3 batter
    4. Lance Berkman .644 SLG as #4 batter
    5. Carlos Lee .534 SLG as #5 batter
    6. Hunter Pence .305 BA as #6 batter
    7. Geoff Blum .266 BA as #7 batter
    8. Ivan Rodriquez .230 BA as #8 batter
    9. Roy Oswalt .214 BA as #9 batter

2. Daves not here

Daves not here Camp Fodder

Red Sox
    1 - CF - Jacoby Ellsbury
    2 - 2B - Dustin Pedroia
    3 - DH - David Ortiz
    4 - 1B - Kevin Youkilis
    5 - RF - J D Drew
    6 - LF - Jason Bay
    7 - 3B - Mike Lowell
    8 - SS - Jed Lowrie
    9 - C - Jason Varitek
    Bench: Rocco Baldelli, Mark Kotsay & Julio Lugo *barf*

Josh Beckett
    Jon Lester
    Daisuke Matsuzaka
    Tim Wakefield
    Brad Penny/Clay Buchholz/John Smoltz

IMHO the strength of this team for this season is the bullpen
    John Smoltz
    Ramon Ramirez
    Javier Lopez
    Manny DelCarmen
    Takashi Saito
    Hideki Okajima
    Justin Masterson
    Jonathan Papelbon

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Line Up

Damon, RF
    Jeter, SS
    Tex, 1b
    Arod, 3b
    Matsui, DH
    Posada, C
    Nady LF
    Cano, 2b
    Gardner CF

Starting Rotation

CC Sabathia
    Chien-Ming Wang
    A.J. Burnett
    Andy Pettitte
    Joba Chamberlain

Bullpen

Mariano Rivera
    Jose Veras
    Phil Hughes
    Jonathan Albaladejo
    Brian Bruney
    Damaso Marte
    Alfredo Aceves
    Dan Giese

Bench

Melky Cabrera
    Nick Swisher
    Jose Molina

Love the Yankees this year, were going all the way.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Cubs fan by birth, but follow pretty much everyone since I'm an avid fantasy baseball player.

Cubs, Reds, and Rangers (Love Hamilton & Davis) are the teams that I follow the most.

The Cubs will be the cream of the NL crop again, especially once they get Peavy in mid-July (if not earlier).

Peavy
    Zambrano
    Dempster
    Harden
    Lilly
    :eek:

The Reds aren't too far behind them though. LOTS of young talent. Votto, Bruce, and Volquez are all studs and will be for a long time. I think they'll make a nice jump from last year and really fight St. Louis for 2nd in the division and maybe even the wild-card.

The NL Wild-Card race this year should be a great one with the Reds, Cards, Mets, Marlins, Phils, and D-backs all duking it out.

Texas has the best line-up in baseball, IMO. They may have 3 guys with 100 RBIs this year...at least two for sure. Too bad they have absolutely no pitching. Hamilton, Davis, Cruz, and Kinsler are the shiz and will be putting up huge numbers once they get rolling.

Can't wait for the season to start!

5. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

No chance. Love the line-up, but not feeling the pitching staff...again. CC will be a semi-bust. Anything less than a Cy Young is a bust for that kind of mula, IMO. I just don't think the AL-East and all that pressure will be kind to CC.

Burnett and Joba will stay hurt...both are overrated anyway. Wang and Pettitte aren't that good to begin with.

They'll make it back to the playoffs, but no shot at a championship. Pitching will be the achilles heel again.

6. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Wow you clearly don't know what your talking about.

CC won a Cy Young in the AL 2 years ago so I'm not sure why you think the AL East is going to make him be a bust when he was dominate in the AL Central.

That's a baseless prediction. It's also idiotic. Chamberlain is far from overrated. He's better than your boy Volquez. If you want overrated look at Jay Bruce.

Yea back to back 19 win seasons Wang sure does suck. :rolleyes:

7. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Red Sox are going to win it all.

8. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

I root for the Braves. But they're not going anywhere this year.

Pitching staff:

Derek Lowe
    Javier Vasquez
    Kenshin Kawakami
    Jair Jurrjens
    Tom Glavine

Tommy Hanson will start in the minors, but is the future ace of this staff.

The rotation will be solid, but the question will be whether or not they can muster up enough runs to compete. Chipper Jones and Brian McCann seem like they'll be the only reliable bats in the lineup, but guys like Casey Kotchman and Kelly Johnson could surprise. If Jeff Francouer ever realizes his potential, he'll give them a legit middle of the order threat. But he has been steadily going downhill since his rookie season, when he looked incredible and had everyone in Atlanta calling him "The Natural". The future looks bright though with Tommy Hanson, Jordan Schafer, and Jason Heyward (who's only 19 years old and looks like he's going to be a freaking stud).

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I'm thinking of exchanging Konerko for Hanson in Fantasy, but I don't know. Konerko is kind of hot. So I'm torn. Hanson looks like a top 5 pitcher.

10. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Take off the pinstriped goggles.

CC is good, but I have a hunch he will be a bust. What he did two years ago is pretty irrelevant. Coming off of two 3500+ pitch seasons isn't good for an arm. Being in NY changes players..either for better or worse. I'm feeling the latter for CC. He'll win close to 20 games, but will sport a 4+ ERA. Worth $200,000,000? Maybe.

The typical "Joba is better than God" Yankee fan jargon. What has this cat done other that hit 99 on the gun? He's got great stuff but hasn't proven he can handle the starting role or his alcohol consumption. Edinson has pitched a whole season without whining about his shoulder and getting booted back to the pen. Has Joba accomplished that?

As for Burnett, he's your prototypical contract player. Plays big for the contract, then puts it on coast for a while. Didn't you guys learn anything from Carl Pavano?

That's ridiculous. How can a 22 year old that's mashed at every level be overrated?? Talk about baseless. Bruce will be one of the best hitters in the game for years once he matures. He hasn't even figured the game out yet, and still put up decent numbers last season. He's only 22. Pay attention Eddy.

Earth to Eddy! This isn't '06-'07 anymore bud. Wang hasn't pitched in a year. His stuff wasn't that great to begin with, and he's going to start the decline this year. Hate it for ya. But it's a baseless prediction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar