McNair Not Ready to Step Aside

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: A day after his agent said he would not be willing to mentor a young QB, Steve McNair explained how he is not yet ready to give up his starting job with the Titans. "I have been helping that team for eight, nine years. Anybody who knows me knows that it's not about me not wanting to help a guy. I just want to play, and I want to continue to play with the Titans and I want to be a starter," McNair said. "I know, everybody in Nashville knows, and everybody in the NFL knows they are going to pick a quarterback in the draft. That is the least of my worries. But the thing is, I think I still have two, three more years to play and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to continue in that role. I am not at the end of my career. I am not ready to step aside." He also comments on the recent free agency additions the Titans have made. "I think the direction things are going in is great," McNair said. "I think they made a great decision to get Givens and we've gotten better on the defensive side of the ball with the new guys coming in. They did everything they could to make this team better and I think they have made it better. Hopefully I can be a part of it. I'm ready to get on the field and play."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

#34 Behind Enemy Lines

i don't like that.

3. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

You talk about straddling a fence, 'I'll lower my cap figure if you'll sign me long term'. I'm hoping the Titans aren't stupid enough to bite on this one. McNair wasn't worth 10 mil last year when he took the field after saying that he was "in the best shape of his career". Following 3 bad years, he wants big money and a guarantee for 3 more! I've been on this board long enough to know that I'm about to hear a chorus of, "It wasn't his fault, it was the O-Lines fault", or, "It was the receivers fault, he can't connect with Bennett". I'm sorry, I'm not buying it. I watched all the games last year. The McNair that played last year is not the Steve we've come to love in the past. For one thing, he doesn't want to......or can't.....run out of the pocket that used to be Signature McNair. He is over-throwing and under-throwing receivers, either the timing is off or he's unwilling to gamble with the throw which used to be quite accurate.
    If McNair demands BIG MONEY and 3 more years and the Titans give it to him, he had better produce. The fans in the Colliseum are going to show their minds if he does not. Would it be the first time I heard the Coliseum 'boo' McNair?
    You're an aging vet, something that doesn't sit well with the NFL. Take what you can get, (see: Bettis the Bus), and do what you can to contribute. Worst things can happen when you demand too many things, (see: Eddie....Eddie....Eddie). If you take less pay and maybe less field time, less production (see: 2004 2005),you could always say, "Hey, you got what you paid for!"

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

How many times did he say "2-3 more years" in that article... I'm betting at least 8...

I think we haven't seen enough of the same Steve in the past few years to give him 3 or 4 more, unless he were taking a pay cut, which he definitely says he won't do. I'd say leave it as it is, keep the pressure on him, and if he doesn't really show up next year, we don't have to worry about him or his cap number any more. However, if he comes out strong, resign him for two more years. He'd also have to show more leadership in the lockerroom and with the new QB.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

The writing is on the wall. There will be opportunities to start somewhere in the league (Baltimore for example) for 2-3 more years.

Hate to say it, but from this read, Steve won't be a Titan next year.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I'd like to see them give MAC the starting role on the condition that it is his to lose. I'd like to see Steve embrace the idea of taking Vince Young under his wing and showing him the ropes. In the event of injury I'd like to see Vince get playing time. If it turns out that eventually VY beats him out and wins the job outright, I'd like to see McNair step up to the challenge of being a NOD type... NOD stepped in for McNair in the past when Steve was hurt. Many argue that VY is gonna get hurt because he plays in the style of McNair... well, I'm not really keen on the idea of investing too much money at QB, but honestly, if there really is so much injury factor in going with the McNair style qb... why the heck not...

I'm so sure that Drew Bledsoe is just sick when he looks at his SB ring.

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Playing and starting are two different things. I would absolutely LOVE for us to draft Young, Steve start in '06, start some in '07 and give Young a couple of starts toward the end of the season. I would love for Steve to be available to start in '08, '09 if Young injured.

I can't get an accurate read from the article if Steve would be OK with type of arrangement. Obviously the money depends on how OK he'd be with it.

8. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Some of this sounds like, "I hate to admit that I'm getting up in years and have lost a step or two". His back has been telling him that for years. As a matter of fact, Steve himself told us that after the 2004 season.
    The Old Stud is being put out to pasture and he's going to fight every inch of the way. I love it! His mind is right, his heart is HUGE, his legacy is writen in stone, but the body is wore out.
    Offer me a "few" million for 1 year to bow-out-gracefully and see how fast I sign.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What are you guys talking about?

Steve didn't start until his third season. It took carson palmer and troy aikman until their 3rd seasons to be any good and they were top pick prototypes. Where do you get the idea that young will be better than mcnair in his second year?

Currently mcnair's contract doesn't even include 2007 anyway.

Mcnair does not want to be a one year stop gap for someone else. He either wants to finish his career here or some other place but why would he want to go one more year here and then move on at age 34? We need to commit to this guy for at least another year and that means new contract. Steve starts in 2006 and 07 and then young gets the nod. I want to win now. Many of you seem to have this idea that we are building up for some 2008-2009 power surge. I'm already tired of losing!

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Fightintitan...

What steve said in 2004 is meaningless. He had an injury then that needed surgery and he was in great pain and could not perform. That injury is now healed and he is saying something completely different now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar