Matt Cassell Traded to Chiefs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

ESPN said they were offered the 12th overall pick but passed on it to take the deal with KC. Either New England doesn't want to pay a first round pick that kind of money, or something very funny went down between Bellechik and Scott Pioli. The whole deal is very questionable to say the least. The Texans gave two second round picks for Matt Schaub, who had played only one or two games. Cassel has played an entire season, and played very well. So it's hard not to wonder if the Pats cut an old friend of theirs a deal. :suspect:

2. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

This is exactly what happened, and there is nothing wrong or shady with it. The Pats could have taken a 5th for Cassel if they wanted - he's their player to trade as they see fit. If Pioli were our GM then we would have gotten a sweet deal for Cassel; not because Pioli is that good, but because he and Bellechik are good friends.

3. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

:rolleyes:

That's the point. Good receivers don't necessarily make good quarterbacks. Alex seemed to think Cassel is just a product of good receivers and a system.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Not taking a higher pick for a guy just because you don't want to pay the money is a violation of your fiduciary responsibility to your team, the players and the fans. I don't buy that for a minute.

Are these so called better offers in lieu of a long term contract? Because KC does not have one yet from what i can see and scab had one when he came to houston. Maybe cassel wants to roll the dice and become a free agent again next year and make even bigger money?

This is the 34th pick in the draft practically a 1st rd pick.

As far as the cap argument and not wanting to pay a higher pick they just unloaded $18M in cap money!

In any event the chiefs got a QB who might not be a chief next year and makes a huge amount of money and a 34 year old linebacker who is winding down his career. Maybe the deal is not so outrageous as we think.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

We'll find out soon enough. I just think Cassell had major advantages playing with Moss and Welker, and practicing in the same system with them for years.

Also, I'm reading a lot of "They only have Cassell for one year" points...

Do you all think they will let him play out this next season under the franchise tag? Or do you think he will re-sign a large QB deal? I just assumed if they were going to trade for him, then they were ready to offer the long-term contract. Which was my concern about him, I just don't know if I'd want a lot of money tied up in Matt Cassell over several seasons.

Also, I think the Pats are in the right to trade Cassell for less than the best offer if its what they wish. It's their player, so I don't see the beef against them doing whatever they want with his rights. imo.

6. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

BS. The Patriots responsibility to the fans is to go out there and showcase a competitive team which they do every year. They don't HAVE to spend more if they don't want to, it's a business don't forget that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar