mac vs pc help

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Fry, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

alright, so i've had a toshiba satellite laptop for about three years now, still works alright. i need to replace the cd drive because it won't play music cds anymore and when i put dvds in there's no sound. that's pretty much the only thing wrong with it.

i can live with that, but my 21st b-day is coming up and my mom wants to get me something special. don't really need anything but if i had to pick something it would be a new laptop.

i've had a pc pretty much the entire time i've had a computer and i'm pretty satisfied with them, but i've always wondered what the difference was between macs and pcs other than the fact that it's easier to make movies and all those things that i don't do anyway.

any advice?

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

They both are good, honestly, it's just a matter of opinion. My sister does tons of photography stuff, and editing, so macs are great for her. I'm used to PCs, so I probably will never change. Why waste time learning a new system is my train of thought. But both are good. I wouldn't pay tons more for a mac over PC, but if they're comparable, go for it.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. No need to switch to a Mac if you're happy with Windows. If you are sick of dealing with Windows, that's a good reason to switch.

But if you're interested, go to an Apple Store and spend some time playing with a MacBook...

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

I bought a MacBook in July after having all Windows products before then, and I love it. I upgraded the hardware the day I got it (recommended), and haven't had a single problem with it. I get no pop-ups, and no spyware garbage.

If your mom is willing to spend the money, then I'd say take advantage of it. Just my opinion.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

If it's just stuff that you don't do anyway then Mac isn't gonna have too profound of an impact on your day to day usage.

Keep in mind PC is dumping Vista so if you don't wanna wait for Windows 7 then Mac might be the way to go..

Now that I have split even time on both for a coupla years I'd have to say I prefer Mac for its feel and smoothness, but it can be also slightly frustrating for a long time Windows user..

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

the only reason i'm even considering a mac is because of vista.

7. You could hold off and wait and see how good Windows 7 looks (assuming you aren't going to buy a new computer this year anyway).

But I'm a Mac fan myself so I certainly wouldn't tell you not to. For what it's worth, though, Apple's new version of their OS (Snow Leopard) is coming out sometime this year as well. Supposedly no new major features, but a noticeable performance boost, apparently.

8. RavensD

RavensD Guest

If you're just using your computer for everyday things (email, music/movies, web surfing, word processing, etc...) there's really not much difference, other than pretty much everything is compatable with Windows; and if you like to play games on your computer, nothing really comes close to Windows. Stick with Windows if it does everything you need it to.

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

[​IMG]

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

both platforms have new revisions to their OS forthcoming, I would wait until we get a look at both
    the trick to Snow LEopard is that it effectively uses multiple core processors and the like

look, the reasons most people switch to Mac is simplicity and stability
    now staying up late defragmenting your HDD or reformatting because of virus'

the downside is that not alot of developers develop games for Mac, but Apple has released a new software developer kit from what i've read the response has been very positive

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar