looking for a guitar

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fry, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

metal and punk

2. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Well then you won't be needing any lessons :ha:

You'll definately want something with a humbucker. If things go well for you, you may find that in a couple of years (or less), you'll be talking yourself into replacing the stock pickups with Dimarzios or Seymour Duncans.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i went to the store today to kind of play around with them. i'd have to say the squire was more comfortable. i think that's the one i'm going to end up getting.

thanks for the help guys.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I started with a Fender Squire Strat (back in the day), and I still use it today. It's the crunchiest of my guitars. I replaced the stock pickup with a Seymour Duncan Hot Rail (probably called something different now) and it absolutely smokes

foer punk and metal, you can pretty much go by a pawn-shop-finger-shredder, change the strings, (get someone to) set the intonation and shred on Garth

for you, your choice of Amp / Distortion may be more important than Axe
    It may also be in your best intwerest to go ahead and get an intermediate guitar (chances are that you'll end up with more than 1 - I currently have 5) I good Epiphone Les Paul might work out for ya

furthermore, for crunchy metal, I ended up buying a 7-string (Vai/Petrucci/Satriani all play or have) , there's nothing like having a Low B string through heavy Distortion

Rock On

5. smili

smili Starter

If you want a Fender Squire you can get one used for much less. I recommend going to a used shop and just look around and haggle to see what the going prices are. Lots of folks move up from starter to more expensive guitars, adn there's a glut of what you're looking for.

For punk and metal you'll definitely want a humbucker pickup on the bridge (that's a fat double looking pickup down next to where the strings attach to the body of the guitar.) It's nice to have some single coils too for different sounds. I think a humbucker at the bridge and two single coils - on middle and one at the neck (a fat strat setup) gives a good array of sounds.

6. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

I don't know where you live or what store you visited....but PLEASE go back and buy it THERE and not on the internet. Sorry! I am big on that.
    Also....check out the Schecter guitars.
    www.schecterguitars.com

7. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I second that. Trust me, you'll want that store to still be in business when it's time to change strings.
    Besides, I've never found the prices to be that different (at my store, at least).

8. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Your not going to get anything great for $250 so I would consult someone that's plays and knows what to look for. The way that the guitar plays is very important when your learning to play guitar. If it plays like crap it will most likely sound like crap and you probably won't play it as much. Thus, you'll probably hang it up sonner like most do. I would definatley buy a used guitar. You'll get a complete pile of crap if you spend $250 on a brand new guitar so get out of the musiciansfiend stuff and get online line to read reviews to find something nice.

Look for a guitar that goes for around $500 or $600 new and try to find it on Ebay in your price range. It may sound risky buying a guitar on Ebay but several of my friends have done it and none of them have gotten ripped off yet. You can find a really good deal on a nice guitar here and have it set-up if need be. By "set up" I mean take it to a guitar shop and have the action and intonation set so that it plays perfectly. It's really not a problem.

Here's an example:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Standard...410496824QQcategoryZ38082QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This Fender Strat is a great guitar that goes for $369 new and you could find something like this in the upper two hundred's or so. I would look for a Standard Strat. They sound great, they keep their tune pretty good and you can use them for any type of music. Ibenez are alright but I've never really been impressed with any of their lower end guitars. Getting a good guitar is just a start. I've been playing guitar for over fifteen years so if you have any qustions feel free to pm me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar