kobe better than jordan?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Fry, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

in the east and i would say dwight howard is probably the second or third best big man in the game

are going from per game averages? if so, those are skewed because bryant wasnt a starter until his third year

he's till young and half way there

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

It's more of a comment on how bad the bottom 10 teams are in both the East and West.

But he benefits from a more offensive minded NBA and a terrible defensive league.

and won't do it without help.

3. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

I don't think he is there yet. However, out of anyone in the league right now, he is the closest by far. Sorry Lebron, get a consistent jump shot and you may be in this discussion. But for him to get three more rings, he is going to have to get a legit second and third option. Jordan had it, and Mitch Kupchak is going to have to get it for Kobe.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

When you look back at single player star led teams. There are not too many that made the finals.

In 25 years I counted the following. About 12 teams out of a possible 52
    Ewing (Starks) - Lost
    Isiah (Dumars) - Won - Won
    Olajuwon (Otis Thorpe) Won
    Drexler (Porter) Lost - Lost
    Miller (Smits) Lost
    Duncan (Ginobli) Won - Won
    Iverson (?) Lost
    Billups (Wallace) Won
    Nowitzski (Terry) Lost

5. maximus

maximus Starter

Kobe is a great player, LeBron is a great player, but they have not redefined basketball.
    MJ changed the game.

Game 7 NBA championship, series tied 3-3, 3 seconds left. You are the coach. Who do you want to shoot the ball.
    Kobe.
    LeBron.
    AI.
    Jordan.

Jordan by far

Need I say more
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4FPk9QEtMU4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4FPk9QEtMU4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

6. Toly

Toly Free your mind

If you are referring to the three championships, then you are not being entirely honest. Kobe might have been a key for those three rings, but he certainly wasn't a bigger key than Shaq was. When you have the most dominant player at his position playing by your side, your chances to be successful are pretty high... wouldn't you say? The fact that Kobe hasn't won anything after Shaq's departure proves it.

But the whole idea of comparing Jordan to Kobe is pretty dumb, IMO. Jordan played in an era that saw great teams, great players and a great level of basketball. And yet the Bulls were able to win it all many times.

I watch the NBA of today and it's really hard to believe the poor level it has been reduced to... and I'm actually being nice with those comments.

7. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Thank you........Jordan is the best player of all time, he made the players around him better. Kobe looks to shoot 50 times a game.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

oh yeah?

"When judging Kobe as a ball-hog who doesn’t make his team better, remember that Jordan averaged 27.8 shots per game the year he averaged his peak 37.1 points per game. Kobe has yet to reach that shot average. Yet he is averaging 48 points, more than nine rebounds and five assists per game in the Lakers’ latest three-game win streak. In the two games without him, the Lakers fell to Utah twice. His four consecutive games with at least 45 points surpassed Jordan and was a first since Wilt Chamberlain in 1964."
    http://daily.stanford.edu/article/2006/1/11/hateHimOrLoveHimButEitherWayKobesOnTop

and wilt chamberlain was the best player of all-time, jordan was the most marketed because of the era.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

The counter to that is Jordan won nothing until Pippen came on board. Pippen was the most dominant defender and small forward in the league, and enhanced Michael's chances of winning all six titles. But without 'em, Michael achieved nothing. On the Wizards, it was reiterated. I don't think Shaq being there takes away from his championships at all. We all have seen how Kobe helps the Lakers win. His influence on the three championships is easily documented.

As far as early career, Kobe is ahead of the curve on the winning front. .

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

It depends. Pippen was 2nd fiddle to Jordan.

Was Kobe 2nd fiddle to Shaq?

What is more of an advantage, a dominate Center or a dominate Forward?

And Jordan was 40 with the wizards. I don't think a championship was ever a realistic possibility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar