Welcome to goTitans.com! Log in or sign up to be a part of the best Tennessee Titans fan site available.

Kendall Wright and drafting BPA

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by UrbanLegend3, Nov 28, 2013.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. UrbanLegend3 Starter

Hunter
    Moolah:
    $10,900
    I actually think we went into the draft with a BPA focus. The Justin Hunter pick is a clear indicator of this. WR at this point was not a position of need and there were many positions we could have addressed but instead we move up and take a dynamic, proven receiver with #1 potential and it's worked out well so far for us. Zaviar Gooden hasn't seen the field much but since backer was actually considered a position of strength for us clearly they took him because they had him rated highly . Schwenke was probably BPA too because at the time it seemed we were content with Velasco. I think this was a great draft for us and going BPA was a huge component of it.
    GoT high fives this.
  2. titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Casey
    Moolah:
    $6,809
    100% agree, you kidding...

go back over the years to those pre-draft threads and polls and just look at my posts. Draft the best damn player on the board...REGARDLESS OF ANYTHING!

i remember when we drafted Wright, I was mad not b/c we went WR, but rather b/c I really thought his stats and play was a product of RG3 and that open offense at Baylor. i'm very happy how far he's come along, extremely promising indeed...
  3. JCBRAVE #getyourlifetogether

Casey
    Moolah:
    $215,409
    Kendall Wright has inspired me to buy those stupid expensive vapor jet receiving gloves.
    cdubbs2121 high fives this.
  4. HeadOnASwivel Starter

Moolah:
    $2,038
    When we drafted Wright, I wasn't disappointed just shocked.

I did identify receiver as a need for us but I just didn't expect us to address it with our first pick.

I did question the Wright pick in particular because, although I really liked him, I didn't foresee drafting a slot receiver with the 21st overall pick.
    GoT high fives this.
  5. Fry Hatin' is what I do.

Casey
    Moolah:
    $12,912
    No, he has a valid point. No guard is worth a top-ten pick. Ever.

We screwed the pooch on that one.
    nickmsmith high fives this.
    • Tip Jar Donor

GoT Strength and Honor

Bishop
    Moolah:
    $21,615
    Millen became a punchline for repeadly taking a WR no matter what else was available.
  6. steverife Starter

Wright
    Moolah:
    $5,912
    He took 3 receivers in 8 years...

He took Charles Rogers, who was doing well as a rookie (22 catches, 3 TD's in his first 5 games), then broke his clavicle in a freak injury in practice, then broke it again, then became a drug addict. Unlucky pick.

He then took Mike Williams, who was a terrible pick.

He then took Calvin Johnson, who is arguably the greatest ever.
    • Tip Jar Donor

GoT Strength and Honor

Bishop
    Moolah:
    $21,615
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...st-draft-picks-of-the-matt-millen-era/page/11

'It was unfathomable that two of the three Williamses could end up teammates, but that's what happened in 2005 when the tenth overall selection in the draft belonged to the receiver-happy Detroit Lions'

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/draft-primer-those-shiny-wide-receivers/2454/

'The Lions committed an unprecedented personnel sin by drafting four – count 'em, FOUR – wide receivers with Top 10 first round picks over a five year span!

2003 - Charles Rogers (2nd overall pick)
    2004 - Roy Williams (7th pick)
    2005 - Mike Williams (10th pick)
    2007 - Calvin Johnson (2nd pick)

Millen obviously never read Einstein's definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/61244-the-worst-decisions-of-the-matt-millen-era

'Millen decided to go after what he loves most, wide receivers.'
  7. steverife Starter

Wright
    Moolah:
    $5,912
    Crap. I forgot about Roy Williams. He was good, too.

The thing that killed Millen is that all of his non-receiver picks were terrible.
    GoT high fives this.
  8. 520 Starter

Moolah:
    $5,221
    cam you imagine if millen hit on all those wr picks. that offense would be unstoppable