Just an observation: no more McNairs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by lateknight, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dahobbs

dahobbs Camp Fodder

You high-fived your own post? What did I make up? That was a nasty looking bend. There have been many players that end up with serious injuries after bending their knee like that. It's a fact that against K-State Vince Young had what looked like a serious ankle injury and came back in a play later.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2186124#pm_cmp=vid_OEV_P_P

At the 54 second mark is the ankle injury. As the announcer in the video said, he must have really long ligaments to not end up with more serious injuries. Are there other players similarly blessed? I'm sure. Are the majority of players not so similarly blessed? Yes. Dude is lucky and it is likely part of the reason he has avoided serious injury up to this point.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

We may never be fortunate enough to ever again see another McNair-like player who will go to war with his teammates no matter what, because players have changed. Players no longer have a team first mentality, it's all about me, and how to benefit themselves. I remember being little and being overwhelmed with joy when my older cousins let me play pick-up football games along with them. They were 5+ years older and much better at the time, but I was thrilled to get to run around with them. I remember a day I was getting made fun of for dropping 2 passes, then I got shoved into a bush. I was scratched up and bleeding and one of them suggested I sit out. That made me mad and I probably should have sat out til the bleeding stopped, but I was having a ball just getting to play. After that I was thrown to 5 times and caught them all for 1st downs. The bleeding got worse, but I was now a part of why we took the lead. No way I was sitting out, didn't matter if my ankle was broken, I was not missing plays. Point is; most people would have sat out til they were better. Players and kids like myself and Steve didn't care about our own bodies when the team was in need. But now because of the known risks, players are electing to miss time, and not necessarily because they choose to. Vince siting out was the smart choice. We had control of the game, and the season was not at risk. But I still like the McNairs & Favres of the sports world.

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Yup. I high fived my own post..
    Now you're backtracking off your Vince is Superman type comment. He's sustained multiple leg injuries that caused him to miss play multiple times in his career. He's got Wednesday legs and we're lucky he hasn't missed more time due to injury.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

It aggravates the crap out of me to see Vince and these leg issues. If it's not a knee, its a hamstring, if not that then it's something related. Vince needs to work his legs more or learn to stretch. I suppose it beats a shoulder or arm injury being that he's a QB. His legs use to make him who he is, now those same legs are going to force him to be more of a passing QB. But I am fine with that. It seems to be his legs/poor foot work getting him in hot waters.

5. dahobbs

dahobbs Camp Fodder

Superman? What are you talking about? I said he was a physical freak. I think my position has been pretty consistent. He must have long ligaments otherwise he would have experienced much more serious injuries on these awkward tackles. I wasn't suggesting that he was invincible, just in regard to this one particular aspect he appears to be especially hardy.

I'm aware. His hamstring injury against Jacksonville seems to be a recurring problem. Unfortunately that is what happens with those type of injuries. He'll really need to focus on stretching out more before and during games. I will say that I think putting on weight to become more "durable" may have ironically negatively affected his durability. It also appears that around 2008 he became a little lax with his physical conditioning, IMO. However he looks in better shape this year.

I think you just read more in my post than was intended. Probably because you were looking for something to attack. Kinda sad how divisive this forum has become. People overreact to everything.

Poster 1: "Collins played well"
    Poster 2: "How dare you suggest Vince played poorly!"

Poster 1: "Vince has improved his accuracy and is reading defenses better"
    Poster 2: "Vince isn't Manning, stop exaggerating!"

Ad Nausem. :sad2:

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

But is he still the next Akili Smith?

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I stand corrected about that prediction of a few years back. At the time he was a quitter. Dogs knew that. Good for him, the team and the fans that he took it to heart to commit when he could have walked away from the challenge of turning things around.
    Still, a prediction is not the same as reflection, and you can't debate the fact that he's sustained leg injuries in the past.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Yeah, leg injuries are a concern with VY.

I still think this particularly injury was DIRTY. Not as bad as the Ravens v. CJ in playoffs, but pretty dirty. He was clearly down when they decided to bend him backwards.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

lol @ the 'it sucks' I received for saying what everyone used to think about McNair before he was killed. Death changes everyone's perspective on people. Like magic.

I loved McNair too- but he was always playing injured after having a bad game. Any time he was having a bad game, he'd start acting hurt.

10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Bruce Matthews let his block go on the play that McMVPs sternum was broken/bruised. Matthews letting go allowed dude like a 5 step unopposed run into #9, still get POed when people say how awsome Matthews was. I am sure when he was young he was great, but when in Tennessee he was average at best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar