Jason Jones + William Hayes

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Puck, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Then clarify what you mean. He has held the edge in the run game.

Good against run + bad in pass rush > terrible performance so far. If he was terrible he'd be getting blown off the ball.

2. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

why?

Looking back to the 2008 draft, Chris Johnson is an awesome pick and Hawkins (a slow learner) could be OK in time and maybe even a starter for us someday, and its too early to determine if Craig Stevens is a bust or not especially when being outshadowed by Scaife and Alge.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

he doesn't go anywhere, no matter if it's a pass or a run. he just stands there chicken fighting with the blocker(usually a tight end)

4. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I've seen different on several occasions now. He's owned TE's several times. Not chicken fighting, but pushing them well into the backfield. He's pushed back OT's to make plays in the run game. The run game stuff is more about strength, and he's displayed it.

Now in the pass game, after his initial push, I agree he hasn't gone anywhere much. Almost like he lacks moves or doesn't use his hands well enough.

Still, terrible? No way.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Because he sucks at drafting offense. Craig Stevens hasn't even seen the field. (and don't pretend the non-productive Alge Crumpler is keeping him from seeing the field). Hawkins never sees any PT with our weak 1-3 receivers, though when in he seems to be decent at least.
    Chris Johnson is the only good pick on offense MR has made, and it was a make-up pick for Chris Henry. And I'm still not sold that CJ will last very long or be very productive without great blocks. He doesn't use his speed effectively, lacks vision, and would get tackled in a game of 2 hand touch. So far he's gold, but seems to be a product of blocking to me.

Paul Williams, Chris Henry, Chris Davis, and Joel Filani. CJ is the only one he's gotten right so far. His defensive players are doing much better.

6. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

You could say that about any running back in the NFL, every back needs quality blocking in order to succeed. How does he not use his speed effectively and lacks vision? For a rookie, he has been outstanding and has exceeded far more then any of us had imagine. The kid is on pace for 1,300 yards rushing(4.9avg), 260 yds receiving, giving you close to 1600 total yards from scrimmage as a rook. Hes gotta be doing something right. The thing i like about him the most is what you dont like, his vision. He sees a lane makes one cut and goes down hill hard. For a RB with his speed he definitely knows how to use it between the tackles unlike a guy like Bush who always is looking to bounce it outside. Hes only going to get better each year which is scary, but IMO he has all the tools to be successful like L.T.

• High Five High Five x 3
  7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

CJ has been everything we could have hoped for this year.

8. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

...and more. Who would have thought he'd have over 1200 yards so far, and be a strong contender for ROY?

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

All backs need good blocking to be successful, true. But some need it more than others. CJ depends on it. Because I don't think he's ever broken a tackle before. Other backs can get yards after contact, but if CJ is touched- he's going to fall down.
    I haven't seen any evidence of his vision. Most the time he could have an easy TD, and he'll cut right in to a defender, or run in to his own blocker rather than kick outside where the wide open field is. He was criticized coming in as people thinking he'd try too hard to bounce outside, but he does the opposite. Only speedy guy I've seen that cuts inside to kill his chances of more yards. Also outruns his blockers sometimes and right in to the defenders.

And you're right, he's overachieved so far this season. He's doing great. But I can't get my hopes up that he'll get better or be this good for years to come, only because I think he's strictly a 'only as good as his o-line' type. Mostly because he can't break a tackle or make defenders miss. He runs a lot like Chris Brown, just faster. No shifting, just hits the hole and gets what he can.
    Can't compare him to LT because LT can break tackles, and he can make amazing moves to juke defenders. He can also catch.

10. TitanicDane

TitanicDane Boozer extraordinaire

You make it sound like the kid should be making touchdowns with every 3rd carry he's getting.

Making your reads, trustíng them and hitting the hole with determination, getting the yards that you can, sounds like a the formula for a successful runningback to me. Understanding that dancing around behind the line of scrimmage might give you a few highlight-reel runs, but it will more often then not yield fewer yards.

I agree somewhat here, he's not breaking alot of tackles out there.

Hmm, okay...guess we're not watching the same games then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar