Jamie Harper head-to-head comparison.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by BeatADeadColt, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatADeadColt

BeatADeadColt Camp Fodder

We all saw Jamie Harper light up the preseason in Tennessee, and thought the same thing we thought when we saw LeGarette Blount do it last year. Damn he's good, it's too bad we'll never get to see him because CJ's gonna take up all the snaps. Last year I didn't have a problem with it, but now I think it's time for a change.

Here are Javon Ringer and Chris Johnsons stats for the three games played thus far.

Chris Johnson Attempts/Yds: 46/98 Avg: 2.1 Long: 9 TD: 0

Javon Ringer Attempts/Yds: 11/15 Avg: 1.4 Long: 12 TD: 1

Here's Jamie Harper's stat-line for this year's preseason:

Jamie Harper Attempts/Yds: 38/168 Rush avg: 4.4 TDs: 3 Long: 46

See a difference? I do too. Mainly that Jamie Harper dominates Cj (AND RINGER, Don't call me a CJ hater, because I'm hating on both) in every statistical category.

Now say what you will about preseason being preseason and playing against backups, but a lot of the time Harper was the first or second RB (because of a certain player's holdout) in the game against the opposition's starters.

Incidentally in the small chunk of time we've seen him in the regular season he's rushed 3 times at a 3.3 average and made one catch for 21 yards.

And most importantly this is a rookie coming into the league in a lockout season. The kid's only gonna get better. Why not start him while CJ's sucking it up, and Ringer was never anything to begin with. Or at least give him equal carries to other two? Since the end of the lockout he's done more than CJ and Ringer combined. Just an observation.

2. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

I could really care less how someone's preseason stats line up against to someone elses regular season stats. If you think Harper could come in and be successful, you aren't watching this offensive line. When RBs get hit in the backfield consistently, they don't get yards.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Definitely agree we need to give Harper a chance.I don't think Ringer has risen to the occassion when he has been called on but i do think Harper would do some good work.

4. BeatADeadColt

Idk man he was running behind the same guys (or their BACKUPS) in the preseason against the defenses starting front four or second front four (who are usually rotated in the game anyway). Incidentally he was ranked 10th among runners this preseason behind this very line.

I'm not saying he's gonna be the savior, but hey if Ringer and Johnson aren't doing jack, why not give somebody else a chance. Especially when he's already proven himself.

Edit to say: CJ gets hit in the backfield because he stays in the backfield a lot longer than guys like Harper. You have to note the difference in running style as well. CJ dances around in the backfield and waits for a whole (which doesn't work when holes don't open) while Harper plows straight ahead. Without saying anything negative about CJ, Harper's style of running might work better. How about that.

5. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Yes. Preseason (and vanilla defenses and some guys that aren't in the league now) versus regular season.

I agree in that I'd like to see Harper get some looks, but you can't bring that comparison and expect to be taken seriously.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

You lost a lot of credibility when you started referencing preseason statistics. I'm sorry but until he actually shows he's worth getting into the rotation in the REGULAR season, I'll stick with CJ.

7. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

Really man? Ringer has played in two games.. Sunday was nothing to brag about obviously...but look at his stat line from the Ravens game and shake your head at what you just said.

8. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Apples to oranges comparison IMO...Defenses in the preseason are playing very basic sets, along with scrubs intermixed.

Otherwise how did our O line look so good run blocking in the preseason, but so bad now. I remember one of the games (the Rams I think) that our O line was pushing the Rams D line all over the field. Why is that not happening now? Because the Rams game was in preseason.....and their D was playing basic sets/scrubs.

I would like to see Harper get a chance at some point too, but do not think that he is going to bust out, not until we are able to keep defenders out of the backfield on run plays.

9. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

When Ringer gets the ball he runs directly at the line. He averaged -1 yards per carry yesterday with 6 carries. The OLine sucks. No one can run behind it.

10. BeatADeadColt

How's he gonna show he's worth getting into the rotation without ever getting any carries?

If you wanna go regular season he's averaging 3.3 yards per cary. A whole yard more than CJ and 2 more than Ringer. But that's only based on 3 carries. Which is the point of this thread essentially. Maybe I'm reaching by saying start the dude, but at least give him a shot to prove that he's capable.

And isn't that THE POINT of the preseason? To evaluate the talent (especially the rookie talent) going forward? He was a monster. We all saw it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar