Jake Locker or Matt Hasselbeck??

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CJtheBeast, Apr 12, 2012.

?
  1. Matt Hasselbeck

19.2%
  2. Jake Locker

80.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I like Hass. He did a good job coming in and bridging the gap from the QB circus we had the previous year to the Locker era during a crazy and shortned off season that featured several new players and a whole new coaching staff. It also gave Locker a year to learn the NFL game, and learn from an experienced vet ... But that being said, Hass didn't play lights out last year by any means. He looked good with KB in there, but other than that he looked pretty average. Sure he didn't throw a ton of ints, and had a decent completion %, but thats not worth much when you are constantly completing 7 yd passes on third and 8. Hasselbeck was the king of check downs last year. I just remember being so frustrated with MH when we would go 3 and out for an entire half, and he would just about refuse to push the ball down the field. By the time we played the colts the 2nd time, MH was playing pretty pathetic. He did pick it up a little after the Colts game and started taking some more shots, but I think he was actually worried that he might get benched after his showing vs the colts (should have been if you ask me) and starting taking some more risks.

When Locker starts this year, he won't be perfect, he will make mistakes, but he will only get better. Hass is only going to get worse. But aside from that, Locker brings more to the team. He brings more energy which makes his team mates want to play better for him. And most importantly, Locker will do whatever it takes to win, he is a competitor. I can't say I see the same for MH. I know MH wants to win, but I don't think he has the same drive that Locker has be the leader on the field and lead the team to victory. Locker has those "intangibles", MH doesn't. I think Locker gives us the best chance to win, and to me that makes him the better QB.

Plus, I think that by the end of training camp it will be clear that Locker is the better QB skill wise. He has the stronger arm, and he will be much improved from having an entire off season. He won't have the experience, but he will be the better QB. Plus he can run.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

My impartial side says that Hasselbeck is still the better QB, as long as he is healthy. Last year we saw that when he got banged up, his play took a big dip. But coming into a season, he'll be healthy. So he is probably the best QB of the two.

With that said, I'm excited to see Locker play, too. I hope he wins the job. But like Deuce said, you don't just give him the job if Hasselbeck is still the better QB.

3. NYCTitanfan84

NYCTitanfan84 Special Teams Standout

I voted Locker..

Whether he gets the nod this year or next..hes still going to make mistakes. As I've said in other threads..IMO you can only learn so much on the sidelines. We're only going to truly know what we have once he's put in that chair. He's going to have growing pains regardless...unless he's just downright awful in the pre season/practice. I would prefer to have Jake at the helm

4. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I know you can't really compare Hasselbeck's stats to Locker's last year bc Locker has a very small sample size to go off of, and Locker never got to fully prepare as a starter like Hass and came of the bench cold everytime he played (then again teams didn't get to prepare for him either) But just for fun ...

I decided to look at Hass's stats w/o KB (even though it didn't make much of a difference because KB only started 3 games), and see where he fits in with the NFL, and how he compares to Locker. I took out KB since he can make any QB look good, and Locker didn't get to play with him.

The main stats I looked at were completion % (since accuracy is one of Lockers biggest question marks) and average yds/ attempt (Hass being a checkdown Nancy was my biggest complaint for him last year)

Without KB, MH completed 59.3% of his passes which puts him at #21 in the league. (w/ KB he was at 61.6% and ranked #10) - Pretty average, especially for a 13 year veteran.

Locker completed 51% - not too good, but I think this stat isn't very fair to Locker bc of having to come off the bench and having very little preparation through the week. He still needs to improve in this category anyhow

Without KB Hass averaged 6.5 yds per attempt which would have ranked #26 in the NFL (6.9 with KB and tied for 19) - To me, this is what really killed the Titans last year. Hasselbeck constantly threw short of the sticks killing drives, and putting a ton of pressure on the Defense.

Locker averaged 8.2 yards per attempt which would have ranked #7 in the league (Keep in mind this is yards per ATTEMPT so incomplete passes hurt this stat, making this stat even more impressive when considering his low completion %) - Locker way out performed MH in this category (again, I know different in game situations). It seems to point to the fact that despite the fact that Locker had a lower completion %, he was still better at moving the team down the field. Too me that is the more important stat. It basically takes completion % into consideration as well as how well the QB was able to move the ball down the field. It doesn't matter how good your completion % is if you aren't picking up 1st downs, and infact a lot of completion % are inflated bc of this.

So just by going from what I saw last year ... I would go with Locker as the better QB. Plus he will come into camp hungry, and come out being a much better QB than he was last year ... Hass is already as good as he can be, and is only getting worse.

• High Five High Five x 4
  5. gran54

gran54 Starter

Fry hit it one the nose with a sledgehammer. Hopeful that Locker comes and wins this thing right out. Either way not really gonna complain about who's under center. Hoping it's Locker just so he can gain experience and he's obviously more mobile, but we'll see how it unfolds. I believe at some point this year he'll become the starter though, whether he wins it during training camp or some time during the season.

6. JMUTitan

JMUTitan Starter

I'm really excited about locker, just like everyone else. He's got ton of heart and is a pitbull in the pocket. He brought an energy to the team last season and did some phenomenal things when the game was all but over. The only thing is that we have yet to see him turn over the ball. We haven't seen him throw a pick. And I assume with more playing time, the chances he does throw them go up. What happens if jake doesn't live up to the hype right away?

7. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I haven't commented in the thread yet but from my Hi Five's it's probably pretty clear who I feel the better QB is.

Jake Locker didn't play like a rookie last season early on, or during the regular season. I feel like because he is such an athletic quarterback, people forget that he also puts in a ton of preparation. He didn't develop his poise and comfort level at the NFL level on raw skill alone. I feel that we are at a turning point in the franchise where we have new blood in the FO and new blood in the team. We've got a young but talented defense and an offense that is an O-Line away from being very good. I feel that Locker could put us over the top and provide just the spark that this team needs.

I'm just hoping Locker gets a fair shot.

8. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Hass is overrated

Locker but I doubt he gets the chance til about week 6, this QB competiton is bogus Hass has the job whether he sucks it up or not.

9. 520titan

520titan Special Teams Standout

this aint fisher were dealing with here...munch said he dont want a controversy...his guy week 1 is his guy week 17. that means if he sees locker at hass's level..or damn near it...lockers the guy all season...and for the next 15 years

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. lateknight

lateknight Master Opinionist

Locker all day. Maybe a different answer if we had Manning but we don't so let's get this Locker era rollIng.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar