Jake Locker looked solid vs. Cards

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CJtheBeast, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I'm with you in assuming they don't want to show too much before the Pats game. It seemed like everytime he rolled out he always had a running lane if the receivers weren't open. Whenever he fakes the hand off to CJ it freezes the defense and buys Locker an extra second or two from the D-Line.

2. davidc502

davidc502 Starter

That's been my problem with the Titan's play calling..... 1st down run left. 2nd down run right. 3rd and 8 pass the ball. The Titan's aren't fooling anybody, and that's why we have sooooo many 3 and outs.

Here's the deal though. If we can get a really good push up front, and actually run the ball well on 1st and 2nd down, then we don't need to fool anybody. Until our offensive line dominates up front, it's going to be really hard to move the ball down the field with any consistency.

I think the only way the run first then shoot mentality pays off is if we have a dominating defense to complement the running game. If our defense gives up yard to opposing passing attacks, then we have to play catch-up, and once again... If we aren't slinging the ball around during regular season games, then how are we to do it in clutch situations?

Frankly we have a old-style offense, like something from the 1980's. The rules these days are set up to allow teams to open up the offense and sling the ball around, so I'm confused why we continue to try to run the ball down teams throats. It's a recipie for 8-8 seasons, but never quite enough to win that elusive championship.

I realize I'm being a little critical before the season starts, but maybe they can prove me wrong. I hope so.

3. DJB

DJB Starter

I'll probably get ripped for saying this but for now watching Locker for me is like watching Vince Young play. He'll make some great plays, he'll escape pressure and pick up yards with his legs, but some of his throws are way off. I'm not talking about off field, mentally, preparing, leadership etc. I'm just talking about on field physical play. Of course VY had a few years to try to get it figured out and Jakes just starting and has time to iron out the wrinkles

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. davidc502

davidc502 Starter

If Locker can adventually play as well as Steve McNair then, I think the organization would be considered to be "doing well".

Locker has potential, but will he reach that potential? I believe he can.

5. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

But IMO VY's problem wasn't his physical ability coming out of college, it was the fact that he didn't think he needed to work on anything and didn't want to put in the time it takes to be a great NFL QB. If Vince had put all his effort into becoming a good QB, he could've been very good. Vince had all the physical tools to be a great QB, he just didn't have the will or mental toughness to do it though.

Jake on the other hand seems to be putting in the necessary time to be a good QB. You can already see the improvement in his game. He is learning to throw from the pocket and go through his progressions (something that VY didn't really start doing until year 5). Jake has also shown the mental toughness to bounce back from a bad throw or bad performance. Whether it be him throwing an int, him having a bad practice, or having a bad game like against TB. He can easily look past his mistake, learn from it, and move on. All things that VY could never do. You will never see Locker pouting on the sideline after a bad play.

Does Jake have some things that he needs to work on? Of course, but so does every other QB in this league not named Brady, Brees, or Rodgers. Jake know he needs to work to be a great QB, VY didn't

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar