It's a passing league.........

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by davidc502, Sep 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidc502

davidc502 Starter

I like Jake Locker as a QB, but they guy really needs to step it up this year. He proved very useful in the Steeler's game, as he managed the game, and threw for key 1st downs in 3rd down situations.

Question is...... Will he continue to develop or is he at his depth?

It's my belief the Titans could go deep in the playoffs, but it's going to completely depend on if the defense can hold up, and if Jake makes plays in the passing game. That's taking the assumption the running game stays wherer it is.

2. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

It was the first game anyone's ever seen that offense in the NFL. The wildcat had early success too, now it's a wasted down.

3. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

very true but I feel this offense has more of a chance to be successful in the NFL than the wildcat. I do think it will be hard for the eagles to keep up with it, and the risk of injury will be up. The wild cat is one formation where this offense is different formations with different players at a fast paced speed not allowing the defense to make the adjustments.

4. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

How many championships has the offense won at the NCAA level?

[​IMG]

5. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

IDK I saw a good amount of Eagles players sucking in air at the half. They were not nearly as explosive in the 2nd half and honestly I think that may be the issue here. If you can stop them in the first half (or as least contain them) I doubt that they can play like that for 60 minutes.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Do people realize the Eagles offense plays 2 games in 1?

IDK how in the world thats going to be sustainable for an entire NFL season.

Guys will break down by midseason.

7. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

The eagles had to play more conservative in the 2nd half to run the clock since they had that lead. It can be a great strategy to win games if they can play fast in the first half and jump out to a lead then run the ball

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I doubt Vick survives half the season. Anyone think Nick Foles can run that style of offense?

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

That offense banks on Vick and McCoy being healthy the entire season. I don't think the actual pace is going to break them down, but 50 snaps a half and someone is bound to get hurt.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

The problem with the Wildcat is that few teams have the personel to really run it. How many teams have a rb or running QB who can run and throw it? Not many. In addition, no one runs it fulltime because they'd be facing an 11 man front daring a RB to beat them through the air. So the Wildcat is a complimentary package. Good as a changeup or if you think your personel has an advantage against a certain personel grouping.

This is totally different. This is an entire offense a team is running, not a package. Much like the Run n Shoot, it requires a different mindset on defense and in preparation...which gives them a distinct advantage. You only will have a week to prepare for this new offense for the most part. Same as the Run n Shoot, you had difficulty matching up because you rarely faced that type of offense whereas that offense has had plenty of practice against most typical NFL defenses.

Unlike the Option offense, you are not exposing the QB to big hits all the time. This new offense thrives on hurrying to the line in different formations, not letting a defense catch its breath (or substitue) and using misdirection to cause confusion which they take full advantage of...especially with the speed and playmakers they have.

The 'undoing' won't be players getting worn out or anything like that, it will be defenses catching up to them if 90% of the offense is 4-5 different plays out of each formation which defenses will have figured out by mid-season. Of course, Kelly could also keep changing those plays to take advantage of how defenses stop those plays too so it will be interesting to see.

Someone mentioned players not getting worn out because of the shorter season. But really, it's that defenses usually can't deal with it due to fewer time to practice (against an unusual offense) which also means they are more likely to be fooled by the different formations being run so fast. Most college teams don't have the conditioning to deal with the tempo and when guys get tired, they make mistakes. Lastly, speed kills much more so in college then in the NFL. The combination of those factors gives the offense huge advantages in college, some of which are smaller in the NFL.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar