Is technology neutering the male gender?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Riverman, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryudo

Ryudo Farten Up

Again like Japan/Korea we need to teach at a young age proper etiquette.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

All good points. The essence of the article referenced at the beginning is today's young men have become more dependant upon the "immediate gratification" created by technology. The result has been loss of the ambition that was necessary prior to achieve success or satisfaction. Desensitization to stimulation was also a premise. Those characteristics (ambition, initiative, "chivalry", etc) are what has been traditionally highly valued in men.

The article wasn't a judgement on today's young men, but rather, an expose to bring attention to one of the pitfalls of the "almighty" techno-rich world.

3. Ryudo

Ryudo Farten Up

Owning a computer is more complicated than owning a car and these days like cars you need to have one. People who don't even know how to clean the temp file are the same people who never change the oil on a car.

You better learn at least the basics of how it works and how to fix a few common issues before buying.

4. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Well that response was not directed toward the article so much as toward some of the posts. I actually had not read the article at the time of my original post. Now having read the article, I will comment on it ...

While the article does bring up some valid concerns, I am curious to see the actual statistics/sources that this article is using to make its claim. The only evidence that it really presents is through pop culture by trying to correlate a specific genre of movies to how young people today are living their lives. To me that is a very bad and inaccurate comparison that really provides no substance to point the author is trying to make. While I am sure the description of movies such as "Knocked Up" does fit a specific group of society, I do not believe that it is an accurate representation of most males. The Marvel Comic movies are also very popular, but I don't believe that today's society are becoming super heroes ... kind of the same logic IMO.

I am 23 years old, so I am probably considered to be in the same category as the people the author is referring to. I have an engineering degree and work 40 hrs/week right now. Most of my friends also have / are working on degrees and are working. None of my friends from HS or college live at home with their parents. Even the ones that didn't go to college are working in some capacity and trying to make it on their own. I don't really see where this large group of young adults not maturing or adapting to the real world is hiding.

Conversely, when I was little I remember one of my father's coworkers lived with his parents until he was in his mid 30's. My father also has a friend who has bounces around from job to job because he is too lazy to work and keeps getting fired. If they grew up in a time when men were taught to be men and go out on their own, then why are they struggling?

I am not saying that people were lazier then than they are now, I think it is probably equal. One thing we do have now that we didn't have 20 years ago was 24/7 news stations and internet. Every little story now gets media attention. Things that were no big deal 20 years ago are "cause for concern" now because more people are hearing about it, and the media likes to put blow things out of proportion to get ratings/views. You will always have people that are lazy and not motivated, and you will always have people that are motivated and hard working.

Also this article makes it sound like guys today just can't go out and talk to girls. Yes there are the few that sit in their parents basement spending 8 hrs a day playing video games, and can't talk to women, but that is very few and far between. Those types of people have always existed and always will, their outlets/hobbies may change, but the point remains the same. The real reason these people don't socialize is a lack of self-esteem. The video games are not the cause, they are just easy to abuse for someone with low self esteem that wants to hide from the world. There are plenty of people that play video games that have normal social lives.

There have been other outlets created such as Facebook/twitter/message boards for people to communicate and socialize that is being used, but in most instances it is used to supplement the real world socializing, not completely replace it (again there are extreme cases, but the media only talks about those so it seems like everyone is that way) If you really think that young male adults have trouble going out to meet women then you really need to check out the local night life.

I will concede that technology has definitely made life easier, but is that really a bad thing? In the 1700s you had to be a hard worker from the age of 12 to the day you died (at age 30), but life sucked. Is it really that bad to enjoy life a little more and not have to work quite as hard?

The point is, it is easy to look back on a generation (especially your own) and focus on the good. Everyone will remember the contributions made to society, but they won't remember all the people that didn't contribute at all. But without any real evidence the argument the author is trying to make is very weak, and is really just an opinion formed with no real basis other than anecdotal evidence, and believing what the media wants you to think.

Are there better things to do with your time than play video games or play on your phone ... of course. Did people really utilize that time when the technology didn't exist ... No, they just found other ways to waste their time.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Thaddeus43

Heck, even owning a car now requires you to be somewhat 'computer literate' if you are driving the newer models.

And I always know when to change my oil ... my car sends me an email when its time :brow:

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

This is one reason I have no problems driving cars 10 or so years old. YOU still drive the car, not the other way around.

I saw Horrible Bosses last night and the cars software had more control of the car than the driver did

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

7. Thaddeus43

Well you really won't like what is coming then ... There are several companies (including google) that are developing cars right now that are 100% autonomous. In fact google's car has already gotten a license to drive in the state of Nevada completely on its own. I wouldn't be surprised to see these cars start making their way onto the streets within 10 years or so, and I think eventually this will be the primary way of transportation. I for one welcome it.

Think about it, don't have to worry about DUI's or drunk drivers. Cars would be safer since they would be able to not only process much more info about their enviroment than a human and adjust accordingly, but they would be able to commuticate with the other cars around them to know what the other cars were about to do.

If the cars could communicate with each other, then they could drive closer to each other and more efficiently reducing traffic and fuel consumption. Speed limits could increase making commutes shorter, and I could sleep on my way to work.

8. JCBRAVE

Didnt you see that movie shot at a gas station out west in the early 90's? Cars talking to each other is how the world ends

Ill pick you up in my 2003 Durango when those cars start malfunctioning and killing everybody

9. JCBRAVE

Your car will end up delivering you to jail. No thanks lol

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

NSFW
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymNdfdQvdVc"]Dave Chappelle - Chivalry Is Dead - YouTube[/ame]

Chappelle explained the real reason for male neutering years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar