Is technology neutering the male gender?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Riverman, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

15 minutes of real water skiing required for 15 minutes of "tubing" at our place. (I'd like to drop bricks :bricks: on the numb-nuts that invented "tubing")

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Tubing is awesome

3. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

In general, I suppose I agree, but I'll be damned if it isn't annoying as hell to be with family/friends and every GD person in the room has their face buried in their POS phone.

This past Christmas even, my grandmother came down and that whole side of the family stayed in some resort. And there we all are in the living room... and I'm the only person not 100% focused on their GD phone.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

You're soft like this guy:

[​IMG]

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CN7AiFc658E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fun!!

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I'd love to go tubing one day.

7. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I heard there was a taboo version of this thread

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Unless taboo means stupid, there isn't.

• High Five High Five x 4
  9. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

outback steakhouse no rules just right

10. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

A kid might not be able to use a screwdriver, but in the world he is growing up in, he probably won't really ever have to. But there are a lot of young people out there that know a lot about things like computer programming, or even things like troubleshooting the computer/video game/DVD player that their parents can't even do. They learned those things on their own, and those things are very important growing up in a world that is being dominated by technology.

The need for skilled labor is declining with the increase in technology. In my grandparents age (maybe even my parents age), you graduated HS and got a job in a factory or something like that, and you could make a good living that way. That is just what you did, so you needed to be skilled with your hands and have good mechanical know how. Now a lot of factory jobs are being replaced by robots and other forms of technology that companies don't have to pay and are much more efficient. If kids growing up today want jobs when they become adults, then they better know technology because there won't be a lot of jobs out there that don't use tech. Turning a wrench won't help you fix a computer problem.

A lot of shop work is even being taken over by computers. Why have someone hand make a part on the mill when you can use a CNC to make the same part from a computer model much faster and eliminate a lot of human error?

Heck even a teenager trying to get a job at a grocery store needs to be very comfortable with technology since computers are taking over a lot of the tasks that used to be done by humans. I don't think the 70 yo greeting me at walmart would be able to help me with the self-checkout if I encounter a problem with it.

And I am not knocking older people that know other things ... those things are good to know too, and as of today are still very important. But by for the kids growing up now, knowing how to use technology probably more important for them in the world they will be adults in. Knowing the other stuff will be important too, but there won't be as much of a need, so it will be ok if less people know how to do it. It actually makes the people that know it now a little more valuable

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar