Interesting Fact: Drafting QB's after Day 1 is a blatant waste of a pick

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TheSureThing, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chamgel2

    chamgel2 Starter

    Legit question..I really believe Fisher will bring in McNabb once he is released or trade for Orton/Palmer and try to win this year. Collins will be brought in to back one of them up.
    I agree about Locker and the talent around him, which is why 95% of the time I say I dont believe their is a franchise QB in this draft, I clarify it with saying Locker can change that with a good performance at the Senior Bowl. The other 5% I just dont feel like typing he has a poor performance at the Senior Bowl though, his stock will drop dramatically, probably into round 2.
    As I have said, unless Fisher is kept, which I do not want, it is just not smart to draft a QB early this year as you pigeonhole the next head coach.
  2. 24

    24 Starter

    I've realized I spend more time in the NFL Draft forum than anywhere else.
  3. chamgel2

    chamgel2 Starter

    I do the same....LOVE the draft.
  4. TheSureThing

    TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

    Since when is drafting a successful backup quarterback considered a good use of a pick? Which is what you just agreed with.

    Tom Brady was a decade ago, Montana even further. I don't know why the stats are so one sided between 1st rounders and 2nd or later rounders recently, but they are. I'm guessing its because player evaluation processes have evolved and there is now little or no margin for error in evaluating players.

    Kyle Orton shouldn't be a poster boy for your argument either..
  5. vinceisalive

    vinceisalive Camp Fodder

    Tom Brady...drafted 6th round. Nuff said.
  6. Eddyc85

    Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

    Well the Bengals already said Palmer is their QB next year. Fisher and Shannahan are close so I doubt Fisher takes someone he hates and Orton? Someone else will take him before us.
  7. GoT

    GoT Strength and Honor Tip Jar Donor

    'the Rifle' will take care of business
  8. chamgel2

    chamgel2 Starter

    I agree about Palmer...I listed him because he as rumored to be on the block, but I do not believe that Cincy will trade him. Less then a 10% chance. Fisher and Shannahan are close, but regardless about what Shannahan has said about McNabb, he has to respect the way he has handled this entire situation. Fisher will not ask McNabb to be a probowl QB, he just has to be better then Collins or a rookie to improve this team next year. And his leadership abilities will be welcome in this locker room. Orton and Kolb will most likely be dealt as well. One thing everyone has to remember, Reinfeldt went to Bud and fought for Fisher's job, if this thing blows up, his job could be on the line too. Whoever Fisher pin points as the QB he believes he can win with, Mike is going to do whatever he can within reason to get that QB. This is not only a make or break season for Fisher, but for the front office as well.
  9. Soxcat

    Soxcat Starter

    I've seen a number of posts saying we should wait until next year to draft a QB. That makes no sense. Even though many of the QBs coming out this year have red flags (when don't they?) there is a number of potential guys who could qualify and we have the 8th pick.

    Waiting until next year assumes we will be either picking earlier or more talent will be coming out.

    Now if we traded for a guy like Orton or Kolb it would highly doubtful we would even be interested in a QB early next year.

    If we do nothing we have no QB for this year (KC isn't even on the team right now and is 38 years old).
  10. chamgel2

    chamgel2 Starter

    I understand what you are saying, but I fully believe Fisher/Reinfeldt will land either McNabb, Orton, or Kolb. Fisher will not go into the last year of his contract with a rookie Qb. Another problem with drafting a rookie is that if Fisher is let go after the 2011 season, you handcuff the new coach to that QB. Next year's draft will most likely have 2 franchise QBs, both would have been rated higher then anyone in this draft: Luck and Matt Barkley, and you can possibly add Landry Jones to that list. The one QB I could see us taking at #8 is Jake Locker. We will not take another running QB so cross Cam off, and Mallett has character concerns, so cross him off. Locker is the most NFL ready QB in this draft. It is going to be an interesting next 4 months, that's for sure.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.