If we want a pass rush we need a scheme change...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Generating a pass rush with a 4-3 defense is totally reliant on having at least 2 guys who can consistently win one on one matchups. If you just have 1 dominant player it is very easy for the defense to slide protection to that one guy.

The other problem is that if one of those 2 guys gets hurt then your pass rush is in big trouble because now it is easy to double the other dominant guy.

I'm not convinced that we have a single dominant guy on our DL right now. I think that Casey very well could turn into that type of guy. He can really move for a guy his size and his short height helps with leverage.

It is extremely hard to find an impact pass rusher for a 4-3 that isn't a liability against the run.

The Texans are the top in our division now and they are a run first team. The Jags are a run first team with MJD and who knows what the Colts will be. If they go with a rookie QB then they will run the ball more then with Manning at the helm.

So we need to make sure that we improve in stuffing the run.

So how do we generate more pass rush and improve on our run defense?

The answer is switching to a 3-4 defense. Most of the top run defenses were 3-4 teams and most of the worst run defenses were 4-3 teams. Getting better against the run should be our top priority since we play in a run oriented division. If you can stop the run on early downs and get the down and distance in your favor then it makes rushing the passer easier.

People will say that we don't have the personnel and I think that is hog wash. We already started the transition last yr with Ayers and Smith. We can easily find the other pieces this off season and make the move. We certainly don't have the peices to run a decent 4-3 because we only have 1 DE (Morgan) under contract. We can just as easily sign guys that fit the 3-4 as we can guys that are impact DEs in the 4-3.

Make the change.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Agree... at what point do we give up on guys who are always injured? like Dmorg?

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aCca5mPMp9A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I've always been more of a 3-4 fan, so I agree. But... do we have the peices?

34 DE: Klug, JJ*, Casey?
    34 NT: Smith
    34 OLB: Ayers
    34 ILB: McCarthy & Spoon

Leftovers: Marks, Ball*, Hayes*, and Morgan.

* = FA

We'd need a NT, I don't see Casey as a NT.. but he could probably work. I just can't see Morgan as an OLB. We'd need a legit 34 pass-rusher in the draft or FA for sure. And a NT drafted later.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I think our scheme is perfectly fine, 5-technique DE's can and do get up field and make sacks. The reason we didn't get sacks out of our DE's was inexperience. Both Jones & Morgan played little to no time at DE last year, and this past year they're both introduced to a new defense they hadn't played in before. Morgan will adjust fine, but that does still leave a void that we must fill.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I agree man. We don't have the pieces, the Texans already had 34 players (Cushing, Ryans, Barwin, Cody, Smith, and Mario). Then they didn't have any glaring needs so they could draft 34 players (Watt and Reed) in the 1st in 2nd round.

It would take us ATLEAST 2 years, and a solid draft, to switch to the 34.

I think our D is fine, we just NEED to find a legit pass-rushing DE, and need Morgan to step up.

7. JCBRAVE

Shawn Smith is not a guy I would ever build my team around, wish they'd just cut him. And in a 3-4, Gray would move Morgan to OLB, so then we have no DE.

8. acqua7

acqua7 Pro Bowler

Hopefully the last 3-4 games is indicative of what Morgan can and will continue to do.

He started to stand out a bit and also started to stand out (in a bad way) when i noticed that stupid spin move that he relies so heavily on!

9. JCBRAVE

I really think Morgan can be that guy. The last 2 games he was a serious problem for teams. He's now getting over that knee injury and once that heals 100%, he'll believe in himself again and be disruptive.

10. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Switching to a 3-4 isn't some miracle cure for creating a pass rush. It's still reliant on talent and coaching. Some of the best pass rushing teams in the league use the 3-4 and so do some of the worst. You can say the exact same thing about the 4-3.

This gets discussed every year. For some reason, a lot of people around here seem to think of the 3-4 like it has magical properties.

Edit: I'm not necessarily trying to accuse OP of this. The post was well thought out. I am more referring to the waves of people last offseason who argued for a 3-4 with no supporting evidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar