I think someone mentioned a while ago Shady McCoy was the fastest RB in the league

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TheSureThing, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Really? A marathon?

We're talking about short distances... goal line to goal line.

I post facts. CJ lovers can't believe that someone could be faster than him.

I don't see how anyone can deny that Charles is faster than CJ. I already said that the 40 yard dash is CJ's expertise and that it's more important and relative when it comes to football. That's simply not my argument here.

However, the 100m dash is the best race we have to determine speed. That's why Usain Bolt is considered the fastest man alive. Charles runs a faster 100m dash than CJ, but he's not faster than him? That's strange.

2. RavensShallBurn

Exactly. That's what I'm saying.

3. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

I'm pointing out the fallacy in your argument. To dismiss CJ's 40 time in favor of a longer race where Charles could win, is not a fair argument. Just like using a marathon to gauge football speed is not fair.

I know CJ is not the fastest man alive. He's probably not the fastest guy in the NFL anymore. Heck, Bo Jackson ran a 4.12 40 back in the day. However, you can't use a distance that is not run in the NFL to decide who is faster.

And, the 100m dash is not the best race we have to determine speed. It is the best race we have to determine speed over the distance of 100 meters.

4. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Well, shady is a fast back that can catch, which you can't say for CJ

5. RavensShallBurn

I'd still say the 100m dash is the best race to determine speed. If it isn't, why is Bolt the fastest man in the world? He's not as good at shorter distances not longer distances, yet he's still considered faster than everyone.

A football field isn't 100m, but it's only 9 yards difference. CJ is more likely to get caught from behind when he's going for that 80+ yard run while Charles is gone once he gets past 40 yards. When you're specialty is speed like it is with CJ, it is a big deal to get caught from behind a lot. He used to be gone every time he ran outside and got ahead of the safeties. Not necessarily .

Look, CJ is still a burner. But if you're talking about a faster burner, that would be Charles. He can pick up speed after 40 yards while CJ loses a bit after 40 yards.

But I agree that overall the 40 is a better barometer of speed in football since its rare that a RB runs beyond that mark all at once.

6. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

While I do kind of favor the 100m I think a previous poster hit the nail on the head with the 60m as the barometer for pure speed. By 60 meters optimum speed is reached and even though it appears some guys are pulling away, after the 60m mark sprinters are actually decelerating, it's just a matter of who decelerates least.

7. Tuckfro42

Bolt is called the "fastest man in the world" because the media and track & field community has chosen to give that title to the guy who can run 100m faster than anyone else. The 100m dash is the 'glamour' race of the olympics. Mainly because it is the shortest race. I bet, if the 40 yard dash became an Olympic event, it would become the barometer for naming the fastest man in the world.

8. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I think i'd take CJ Spiller over Jamaal Charles.

9. Tuckfro42

One more thing...

Track times don't always translate well to the football field. To illustrate this, let me share something from my past. I ran track and competed against Joey Kent when we were in high school. Kent would easily beat me in the 100m (and even 60m) at events. However, when we competed on the football field, I could run him down with little effort. Why? Too many reasons to list. I do think one of the reasons was that I was stronger than Kent, though. With the added weight of pads and running on grass, my strength allowed me to keep my speed while Kent's lack of strength depleted his speed.

The point? There is absolutely no way you can say that Jamaal Charles is faster than CJ (or vice versa) on the football field by using old race times.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

If they did things like this people might actually watch the game lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar