Welcome to goTitans.com! Log in or sign up to be a part of the best Tennessee Titans fan site available.

I got the dreaded YLOD...

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by KamikaZ, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Moolah:
    $129
    Yup, it finally happened. Sony's answer to the Red Rings Of Death (aka Yellow Light of Death aka YLOD) has struck my PS3, and it's a pain in my . I'm hearing of more and more cases of 1st gen (as I own) consoles getting this problem. The soldering on the CPU and GPU is melting from overheating apparently, and it's becoming more of a problem.

Anyway, just had to vent and wanted to warn other PS3 users on here, because it's becoming more common than Sony will care to admit. I'm going to fix it this weekend, so if this happens to anyone else I'd be glad to give advice on how to do it.
    • Tip Jar Donor

GoT Strength and Honor

Bishop
    Moolah:
    $20,475
    at least nobody has died
  2. Deuce Wayne Damnit, I cant find my driving moccasins anywhere!

Bishop
    Moolah:
    $16,007
    That sucks. Hopefully the newer "slim" models don't suffer the same problem.
  3. KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Moolah:
    $129

Not yet, but we'll see.
    • Tip Jar Donor

Gunny Lord and Master

Wright
    Moolah:
    $2,027
    meh both mine are fine *knock wood*
  4. BigD73OT NFL Free Agent

Moolah:
    $0
  5. KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Moolah:
    $129
    I did the same thing, more or less. It works fine now. Hopefully the soldering keeps up.
  6. HALL97ROX Camp Fodder

Moolah:
    $0
    I just got a PS3 and love it! Should I invest in one of those cooling units, or are they a crock? FYI I have had the RROD 2 times and didn't get one for the 360, maybe I sould have...
  7. KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Moolah:
    $129
    There is no guaranteed prevention for YLOD. It's not like the 360's RROD problem, as that was completely widespread, but rather is rarer and chances of failure are higher as the system ages.

Bottom line?
    -Keep it clean, keep it dust-free, keep it away from enclosed, tight spaces (as the fans won't be able to work correctly).
    -Don't keep it on when you're not using it. 90% of YLOD problems result from continual overheating over time, to the point where the soldering literally melts between the GPU and CPU. That's what happened to mine, and I keep mine on for hours at a time, simply forgetting to turn it off.
  8. Fry Hatin' is what I do.

Casey
    Moolah:
    $13,518
    don't waste your money. they just force cold air in. the whole idea of the fan inside the console is to let hot air out. and the cooler is REALLY loud.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.