I am Legend - The original ending!! (watch it if you haven't seen it)

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by Deuce Wayne, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

With I Am Legend, you have the one story that has inspired an entire subculture. Romero and Fulci, who are considered the godfathers of the zombie genre, and have had influence on every zombie movie, TV show, comic book, video game, tattoo, horror-band, T-shirt, skateboard deck, etc. stole all of it from I Am Legend.

It's fair to update the story to make it current and it's fair to cast a Hollywood golden boy as Neville. But what in unforgivable is to keep the name of the story and the name of the main character then erase every other important aspect of the story in lieu of the mindless Hollywood screenplay. Toss in some wretchedly un-scary CGI cartoon creatures some carefully placed commercial advertisements and you have turned the classic into just another turdlet for the cover of Premier Magazine.

It's amazing that a 200 page short story could still be 10 times more effective in telling a tale than a zillion dollar craptacular and that folks who didn't bother reading the book would defend it all along..

This movie didn't need to be called I Am Legend..

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Yeah, but nerds will watch anything over and over. See: Star Wars.

3. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Count me in the group that would rather see a more novel inspired film rather than the typical hollywood packaging. Gloat, many of us have read the book and all of the hollywood attempts have "gone thier own way" so to speak, you would think that in at least one attempt the factory would just let the novel be the path, rather than trying to "make it thier own". Gloat just curious, have you read the book?

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Typical idiotic post when proven wrong. Why would I expect anything less. :rolleyes:

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Lord of the Rings is an outstanding example of a filmaker who loved the book so he took special care to bring what was special about the book to the films. His passion for the book shines through in the trilogy.

6. Deuce Wayne

Its an example of a director being lazy and making money on someone elses entire story. That's how I see it at least. If you're going to rip something off, at least try to make it your own, a bit. Cover bands suck, so do cover directors.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

So movie versions of famous books should be dramatically changed by default?

8. Deuce Wayne

Not dramatically, but interpretations shouldn't be carbon copies.

9. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Gloat that line of reasoning is what makes most of the crap that comes out of the hollywood factory. I am Legend, novel, some would say spawned an entire genre of films and novels. The fact that all of the hollywood attempts have fallen short in satisfying the fans of the novel speak to how unsuccessful those attempts were. If you read the novel you would know that the "origninal ending" that started this thread would have been better than the pre-package out of the blue ending we were given in the theatres but, because we as the audience were not given any of the background between Neville and the head vampire/mutant it would have still fallen short. In the novel Neville and Ben Cortman knew each other, and although not friends, the fact that they had a prior knowledge of each other added a lot of depth to the story. In the movie attempt all we know is the head vampire/mutant wants him dead in the worst way. BTY, in the novel Neville does die as the vampires/mutants have figures out a way to "live with" the disease and they view Neville as on out of date life form so to speak.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Lord of the Rings wasn't a direct copy which is why some people are disappointed in some of the changes made and parts left out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar