How "good" is this D....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ammotroop, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

Going to break down the D a little cause honestly, I am a little worried about a drop off.

DE
    KVB - GREAT
    Kearse - UNKNOWN
    Ford - Unknown
    Jones - Unknown
    Ball - Unproven

DT
    AH - GREAT
    Brown - I like
    A Johnson - Unknown

LB
    Bulluck - getting older - cant cover very well anymore....
    Thorton - AMAZING tackler -
    Fowler or Tulloch - I like Tully here, but well see
    Kieglar - Great potiental

CB
    Finny - Great player - love the fire
    Harper - Not a good cover corner -
    Hill - he hate me
    Carr - Average
    King - Ehhh

S
    Griff - Great Player
    Fuller - SUCKS
    Hope - Great, but coming off injury
    Nickey - ehhhhh

Overall, baring injury there is potiental here, but were not very deep on the line, and our DB are great tacklers, but not very good at coverage. To beat the Colts, they need to be good at coverage. If our DL can get pressure every down, that would be nice, but well see. I am just worried that they may get torn apart....! Tear it up, what do you think?

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Fuller doesn't suck. He's good depth at safety and nickel.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If the defense stays healthy, they can be top five again even if the Titans face better offenses this season.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

First of all by sticking a bunch o "UNKNOWN" ratings on guys doesn't mean those guys can't play. Our defense was very solid last year so going from there start by looking at who we have back.

3 of the 4 DL starters are back. Two of them all-pro level guys. The key is replacing Odom and LaBoy and depth. The only real issue with Kearse IMO is how durable he can be. If healthy I think he can get us something similar to what LaBoy produced. Maybe better.

Ford might be one of the surprises in camp. Coming off a serious injury he doesn't look hobbled by it at all. He is explosive as anyone off the ball from what I saw and he looks much more bulked up.

Jones looks very worthy of being a 2nd round pick. Can play both DT and strong side DE. Has looked real good in camp for a rookie coming out of a small school. I think he will be a good one.

Johnson has impressed in camp as a guy who can more than fill the void left by Starks and then some. We are actually better in the DT rotation with Johnson and Jones although they are young IMO. Starks and VIckers were a big drop off when AH was hurt.

Ball has been a surprise as well although he might have an uphill battle to make the roster. With Ford looking good and Kearse and Hayes who definitely will make the roster (Hayes has looked good in camp as well although he is a little raw). Hayes hold his own in drills despite moving up considerably in talent level from college but he does appear to have the physical tools.

In the secondary we are as good or better IMO. Hope is back. The injury hasn't effected his play at all. Griffin is going to be super and Finnegan might be better in his third year. Hill has actually looked pretty good in camp so far making plays on the ball which was an issue before with him and Carr looks like decent depth as well so we aren't that bare at CB behind Harper.

LB is about the same as last season IMO. Bulluck, who is old and can't cover made a number of plays in coverage the two practices I went to, some real real good ones. Whoever wins the MLB job will be adequate but Tulluch has been really flying around and sticking people. I can't wait to see him in a pre-season game and if he has improved enough to win the starting job we will be upgraded in that spot.

5. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

By putting UNKNOWNs next to them, I wasnt insinuating that they couldnt play. Just that we dont know what were going to get from them vs top offenses in game time situations. Depth really worried me....

Trust me...I WANT this D to be a top 5 D again, I really do. Dont get mad at me for questioning it!!! LOL....I am just a little worried.

And maybe Fuller doesnt "suck" persay, I just dont think he is very good.

6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

7. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Our defense is not the reason we lost to the Chargers. Chris Brown and our red zone offense is. The D put us in position to have that game won by halftime.

8. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

He's talking about the regular season game, and you are talking about the playoff game.

9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Oh, okay. I guess I just assumed he meant the playoff game. I didn't bother watching the video because I still remember it so well (still stings a bit).

10. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

I wouldn't say that Bulluck can't cover anymore... He's still pretty solid. This D has a lot of potential returning all of the starting secondary. I'm a little scepitcal of the Dline with Al and Kerse both being injury prone but if they can stay healthy we'll be very good on D. Depth may be an issue...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar