HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Puck, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starkiller

Starkiller 9

Personally, I hope a better technology comes out and wipes them both out...
  2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

^ ya know, awhile back I had caught something on Engadget that alluded to China had developed a next-gen DVD device that was Super-HD - it was like 1440p
    i haven't seen it in awhile - but rest assured that bigger and better is always around the corner
  3. Bobo

Bobo Guest

A poop load of HD DVD players sold last weekend when Wally World, Best Buy, Circuit City and maybe some others had big sales on Toshibas.

http://www.cepro.com/article/sony_blu_ray_hd_dvd_format_war_a_stalemate/

The waters are still murky, but these guys are going toe to toe. To me, if you can get a solid HD DVD player for $100 now, compared to $450 for a BR, it may be worth it to just try the HD DVD. If it doesn't win, you haven't blown a lot on a player....but there may not be a winner soon....or ever?
  4. guitarjunkie

guitarjunkie Hates the Offseason

I've been waiting on one to die also.
    Are there any differences in the quality of the video?, or is it just features?
  5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

the problem with the Toshi HD-A2's are that output is capped at 1080i
    :thumbsdown:
  6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

But some say you can't notice a difference. And other players don't have great 1080p performance. I looked into the 1080i thing a bit, and the general consensus is it's not that big a deal. With some tv's, it won't even make a difference 9according to Cnet).
  7. Starkiller

Starkiller 9

The jump from SD to 1080i HD is a lot bigger than the jump from 1080i to 1080p...
  8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Yep, and some say the 1080 I to P jump is hard to notice. I'd like to see them side by side myself.
  9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

well, Bobo - you have the perfect disply to test the theory
    all you need is a 1080i source and a 1080p source
    and while normal viewing may not reveal much, action scenes should be smoother
  10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

discussion now is focusing on the new AVCHD format for consumer camcorders

I'm demoing a camcorder right now that shoots 1920x1080 in AVCHD and can be instantly burned onto a bundled DVD burner onto standard DVD's in 1080i? and is instantly playable on BluRay players

I'm still trying to figure that out, but it does work
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.