Growth of QB's

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Big TT, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

I am as frustrated as anyone watching what is going on with VY this season. Last year we watched as he took over games and won inspite of the rest of the team(insert D here). This season it can be hard to watch. It made me wonder how other QB's have handled the first few seasons. Let's look at Peyton for example, he in his rookie season was an interception machine, he threw 28 as a matter of fact. And it was still a problem with him for the first 5 years in the leauge with a 5 year total of 100 picks or a 20 per year average. That works out to a 5 year avgerage of 1.25 picks per game. Not very good huh? And look at the team's sucess, over that same period of time the colts were 43-37 or a 53 % winning percentage. Now let's look at Vince he has started for 21 games and thrown 23 picks of an average of 1.1 per game. I am not saying that Vince and Peyton are the same or anything like that it is just that young QB's all(except Brady) go through these growing pains. The difference between the two is that Peyton was put in a system that was built to take advantage of his skills, while it appears that we/Fisherball is trying to make Vince be something that he doesn't, to this point anyways, do very well. And that of course is a pocket QB, Fisher let Vince be Vince. You drafted a playmaker, not Cutler or Leinart. Let him do what he does best.

2. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

In my honest opinion I really do believe Vince is just having some bad games right now. I really think what we are all having to go through will get better. The kid has won everywhere he has been once he calms down and lets his game just go all out.. he is going to be great. Remember... they were saying 2-3 years before he would even start. If he is going to prove to the world he does not suck its going to be this monday. I know him too well.... Hell. I hated him for being so good in college. He killed my Buckeyes... I wanted this dude to break his leg. But I knew he would be great one day in the NFL.(Cant believe we drafted him still) Vince will be back people. He will be back

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

BigTT, manning had 20 picks per year because he threw a lot of passes and he also had 28 Tds per game. Not sure how that compares with vince who so far is averaging just .76 TD passes per game.

Based on a 16 game average

Manning 28TD 20int
    Young 12tds 16 ints

So how do they compare again? I think you know this disparity and left out TD numbers just to make a point that makes no sense. Sorry..

Why not also compare vince to brett favre who has averaged 1.1 ints per game his whole career. Because it would be a bogus comparison.

4. Big TT

Once again roll you miss the point to bash VY, the point I made and made with specific examples is that young QB's almost always go through this sort of thing even your QB god panty. We all know you have a man crush and forgive it. Also, if you want to start comparing the apples to the oranges let us look at the supporting cast. Only a fool would make suggest that VY and your boy toy have had equal toys to play with.

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I've looked at the early stats of a lot of great QBs, and there is 1 thing I've found - the 1st 3 or 4 years tell you nothing about a QB. It's rare for any QB to have good passing stats in their 1st several years. Not that there aren't exceptions, but for every great QB who looked good as a rookie, there are 20 who sucked. I haven't really found any stat that seemed to predict which ones would eventually make the leap and which ones wouldn't... it's just like they are OK or bad for a few years and all of a sudden it clicks or they get put into the right system and turn into pro-bowlers.

I'd imagine that the one thing you can look at to tell if a QB is going to make that turn is just watching them for the basics - most importantly pocket presence, actually. There's no stat for that, but it's the thing that separates the legends from the duds... Vince had it last year, and looks like he's lost it this year. I'm looking to see the mechanics begin to sink in and the pocket presence return. If that begins to happen over the next 16 games into next season I think we've got our QB for the next 10 years, otherwise we'll be forced to wait it out and hope.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Big TT, your point is what? You made NO point what so ever. I'll agree with the obvious that QBs imporve with age and experience but trying to use Manning as some example with Young is so ridiculous it borders on the absurd.

Manning, in only his second year in the league threw for over 4000 yards, had a 61% completion percentage, averaged 7.8 yards per pass play, threw 26 TDs to only 15 ints and had a Qb rating of 91.

Young would have to play 10 seasons at his current pace to throw 26 TDs. Young's % is 61% which is good but he averages a whopping 2 yards less per pass play at 5.8 meaning he is dinking and dunking the ball. Young has 10 ints to only 4 TD passes and will be lucky to reach 2500 yards passing this year. His QB rating is amoung the absolute worst in the NFL at 62.2.

Add in the fact that Manning actually improved dramatically from year one to year two and Young so far has regressed and the "point" really starts to look ridiculous. If anyone has a man crush it is you for Young.

7. Nash

Nash Starter

Let Vince be Vince??

I strongly disagree... if you mean free lancing trying to find the receiver flash open and then hit him with a pass and maybe running when the rush breaks down.. that's a recipe for injury the way McNair was beaten up, and that's a recipe for no YAC...
    I'd rather Vince learn a system to hit receivers going to an open spot, and anticipate which receiver is going to be open.. yes it takes time but you have to go backward to go forward to build a new skill set..

8. Big TT

Roll you pretty much make all my points for me. That VY is being compared to other QB's regardless of the style of O they play in. Point 1. All QB's struggle, panty did, Vince is. I saw a rookie take a team on his back last season and get to within one victory of the playoffs while having the 32nd ranked D. I saw a rookie make play after play. Point 2. Vince is trying/being coached into becoming a better pocket QB. That I really don't have a problem with that but I don't think his natural talents are being utilized to the best potential. Point 3 If you must be stat hound, at least take into consideration that any QB needs tools around him. Ask yourself this, would panty have been as good without the tools he posseses edgerin/addia, marvin and wayne, not to metion dallas clark. Can you see one of our "skill players" starting for many teams? I think not, B. Jones maybe, Scaife maybe the rest? I don't think so.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Who were the great QBs? I mean if for every one that looked good in their first several years you had 20 that didn't are we talking about 60 or so "great QBs"?

Here is the problem I have with the logic. Obviously the majority of "great" QBs played more poorly their first two years than they did say in year 5. That fact is actually true for most positions on the football team and you could make the same argument for WRs especially.

Still, how many total bust QBs ALSO played lousy their first 2 years? The answer to that question is practically every single one. Also, what % of the QBs who played lousy in their first two years actually went on to be "great". That answer is obviously very few.

All we know is VY can still develop into a decent or even great NFL QB but obviously there is no certainty of that hapening and considering the fact he seems to have regressed there has to be a concern.

10. Nine

Nine Starter

What we've seen thus far this year is classic Fisherball. The offense is built to grind it out, run the clock, win TOP, and win the battle for field position. The RB is the focal point of this approach, while the QB basically acts as a game manager, making the occasional throw to loosen things up for the running game.

If this is the offense Jeff Fisher wants to run, then they should have drafted Cutler, plain and simple.

Now look back to the last half of the 2007 season. It was a more wide-open scheme, with the athletic QB as the focal point of the offense. His dual-threat capability placed enormous pressure on opposing defenses, and gave the offense a three-pronged attack that was very difficult to defend against consistently.

As a result of this approach, the offense was actually winning games for the team, and was able to overcome poor defensive performances. They upset a number of heavily favored opponents, including the eventual Super Bowl champion Colts.

Using this offense, the Titans scored 20+ points in each of their last eight games....a remarkable feat, considering they had done so only twice in the first half of the season.

So which approach have they used this season? Fisherball, of course.

Like it or not, the Titans have invested the future of this team in a unique, unorthodox style of QB. Putting him in a Fisherball offense is akin to putting a square peg in a round hole....he simply isn't cut out for that style of play, any more than Peyton Manning or Tom Brady would be cut out for a "running QB" offense.

Vince Young has already demonstrated what he's capable of doing in a system that suits his skill set.

Why the coaches refuse to go back to it is beyond me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar