Gregg Williams turned down chance to return to Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans News, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

40 times for safeties are more or less irrelevant. A big, slow safety who's smart and knows how to keep the play in front of him is fine. The only reason a safety ever gets burned is because they were out of position, they start 20 yards downfield on every play.

The issue here is that Greg Williams, blitz master, defensive genius, doesn't want to play for the Titans because were conservative and stuck on the old philosophy of playing football. I don't blame him.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

All I've seen on here (for the most part) is an amazing amount of anger with incredibly little reasoning behind it.

Someone's grandmother could force more fumbles in seven years? You're saying things like that and expecting other people to take your arguments seriously? You really think a professional football coach is keeping a player on a team only because of a "special relationship?"

Ugh, not worth the time. On to the reasonable posters...

Gut, I would agree that Nickey clearly isn't ever going to be a starter. I disagree that it means that he's less valuable than a potential player. For depth, there's something to be said with having a baseline value, even if you know the guy doesn't have the ceiling of some of the others. It's not the best comparison, but I'd say your logic would be the kind that kept Mouton and McCourtney as our depth instead of bringin in Rod Hood earlier. We took a risk, and the young players weren't ready yet, and we got burned. There are certainly risks and rewards for going either way.

I wish I could point out some examples of Nickey's play, but my defense of him mostly comes from several times over the last couple of seasons when I've noticed him making a good play, either on special teams or in a reserve role on defense. As you pointed out, special teams role-players generally don't generate measurable stats. I wouldn't fight to keep him, but I certainly don't think his existence on the team is evidence of Fisher being mentally deficient, as some keep yelling... He's dirt cheap, plays his role well, and is obviously respected (note the Captains patch). That's enough, in my opinion, to give him the benefit of the doubt for having made the team so many years in a row. I complained about him for several years, but as I said, over the last couple of seasons I found myself noticing a play here or there. That, combined with his election as a captain, made me at least quit complaining about him. I am a little surprised at myself for defending him though.

3. karmarouge

karmarouge Camp Fodder

See an idiot with an IQ of 20 would easily understand my use of my grandmother, false teeth and all. Its a common speech technique used to illustrate a point. A five year old would get the point...Kinda like early in the season when I told my niece KErry Collins couldnt hit water if he fell out of a boat. She understood exactly what i meant.(if a person is too stupid to understand that, honestly i dont give a rats arse if they take me seriously or not...matter of fact i would rather they didnt take me seriously and ignored my post entirely. I sure as hell wouldnt wanna engage that person in any kind of sports talk)

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I can't imagine anyone ever wants to engage in talk with you. Ever.

5. GoTitans3801

I'd agree Gunny.

Once again, not engaging in actual discussion or trying to make a decent point, just name calling. Got to love the people that think they "know a lot about football" because they can scream insults loudly (or do the equivalent on a message board).

6. karmarouge

karmarouge Camp Fodder

thank god for that.. Because i really cant stand listening to anybody else but myself.

7. karmarouge

karmarouge Camp Fodder

So your silly remark about my obvious exaggeration was to be taken as a decent point made in an attempt at actual discussion right?

excuse me while i laugh...

8. GoTitans3801

Right, that's what discussion devolves into when people just start insulting each other. The problem is that you didn't do anything except exagerate and make insults. You dropped the substance. If you want to actually make arguments, people will answer them.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

We've all noticed.

10. karmarouge

karmarouge Camp Fodder

This is the great problem you have. You assume people are dumb! (well let me be specific, you assume that i am dumb or that i will let you get away with silly and rather irrelevant arguments)

Case and point. You said that my use of my grandmother some how rendered my arguments invalid. A rather stupid argument being that its a common play on words used by practically every sports fan in the USA.. Which is why i gave the more common exaggeration "QB x couldnt hit water if he fell out of a boat".

You sir started with the petty arguments. NOw you are feeling bad because i exposed your narrow minded argument designed for nothing else other than disguise the fact that you have no valid counter point.

Not to mention that it was the only exaggeration in my post. (And for that matter hardly enough to illustrate how useless a player DOnnie freakin Nickey is)

You tried to sneak in an insult, i paid you back with interest. Get over it.. you wont get any pity...sure as hell not from me.. (but sure as hell looks like Gunny will give you a shoulder to slobber on..)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar