Welcome to goTitans.com! Log in or sign up to be a part of the best Tennessee Titans fan site available.

Grandma needs a laptop

Discussion in 'Gear' started by TitanJeff, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    • Staff / Moderator

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande

Hunter
    Moolah:
    $10,787
    I'm looking to get my 75-year old mother a laptop. She's not doing much but surfing around, doing facebook and looking at photos. Probably at 15" monitor will do.

I love momma but I need to set this thing up in such as way she's not calling me five times a day. As a mac guy, I didn't know if I should go used or new and where I might find a pc for a reasonable price.

I'm guessing the budget is $200-250, if possible.
  1. Fry Hatin' is what I do.

Casey
    Moolah:
    $9,007
    Won't get anything but a bottom of the line netbook for that price, and it definitely won't be a 15 inch screen, unless you go refurbished.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba...lack/9988402.p?id=1218205766215&skuId=9988402

That's probably the best you'll do if you go new.
  2. SawdustMan Starter

Bishop
    Moolah:
    $11,174
    Yeah, you're probably gonna have to go refurb for that price range. Or be willing to fight some old ladies on Black Friday. :wink2:
    • Tip Jar Donor

GoT Strength and Honor

Bishop
    Moolah:
    $164
    I spent $400 for a pretty good 15 inch laptop with w7 media center.

What about one of those apple pad thingys? That is what they are for right? Well that and bludgeoning barbarians and such.
  3. SawdustMan Starter

Bishop
    Moolah:
    $11,174
    Those things are like $500.
    • Staff / Moderator

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande

Hunter
    Moolah:
    $10,787
    I think I could go with something a couple of years old here. You should see what she has now. It's some kind of desktop Dell from the '90s. I turn it on and go make a sandwich and eat it before it's ready.
  4. Fry Hatin' is what I do.

Casey
    Moolah:
    $9,007
    Other than searching eBay for something used you've got me stumped.

Maybe you could use the Geek Signal to summon Starkiller(meant with the utmost affection)
    • Tip Jar Donor

avvie Ke ali'i o na okole

McNair
    Moolah:
    $1,353
    Get an older used laptop and load Ubuntu onto it. It comes with Chrome and Firefox and doesn't need much power to run it. As long as she's not trying to watch TV on it, she should be okay.

Puppy Linux will run that thing all zoomie-like. You should take it and try it.
  5. Puck Pro Bowler

Moolah:
    $103
    there's an Android tablet floating around Kmart and Walmart (iirc) for like $175
    • Staff / Moderator

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande

Hunter
    Moolah:
    $10,787
    I didn't even know that was out. That could be the answer. Good suggestions. Not being a pc person, I really don't know the difference between Gateway, Dell, HP, etc. Any suggestions there?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.