Gene Upshaw passed away

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanium, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The simple fact that the nfl has had no significant labor issues or walk outs since 1987 says he did a good job. You had those 2 strike shortended seasons in 82 and 87 and that really bothered people but since it has been very smooth.

As for free agency and bigger contracts i think they were inevitable since the curt flood case but look how long it took for nfl players to have that freedom.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

"I wonder if all those "ghosts" would be moaning if Upshaw hadn't secured free-agency"

Come on it took nfl players 20 years to get free agency after baseball already had it.

3. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Wow. That was really unexpected. Condolences to the family.

4. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

This was a shocker for me.

5. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

Had no idea he was battling cancer. I was aware that players felt the league wasn't doing enough for them after their retirement, but hadn't realised how bitterly they felt towards Upshaw... I just kinda knew he was the union leader and that's just about it. R.I.P. all the same, Gene. ...Though all that talk of ghosts is a tad unsettling.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

He must have been sick for awhile because he was just diagnosed on sunday.

Not very long for one to say goodbyes is it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar