GAME of THRONES

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by CRUDS, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

never got into Rome
    avoided Carnivale and Deadwood while they were live, caught up on them when they re-ran and watch them both beginning to end
    ...wondering if I do the same with this

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Loved the first season of Rome and hated the second. Vorenus and Pullo are returning in a Rome movie in the near future. HBO and The BBC forced the abrupt resolution of he series in Season II (go figure) and lamely replaced the Octavian/Augustus actor halfway thru that season. I suspect Bruno Heller will go all out for the film.

3. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I actually REALLY liked aspects of Season 2. The stuff with the Aventine Hill gangs was particularly cool to me. But there was just too many arcs/historical points that were literally shoved into the last few episodes.

The problem is they crammed like 15 years of history into about 3 episodes. It was especially off-putting with Marc Antony and Lucius in Egypt. And yeah, they picked some pretty weak actors for Agrippa and Maecenas (both look like they belong on a CW series), but I thought the actor who played Octavaian was a good choice - the dude was a creepy, detached guy in real life by most accounts, and the actor captured that.

4. Passepartout

Passepartout March Madness!

So surprised that the show in only a few episodes was renewed for a second season, just like the snap of the finger.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

LOL about Maecenas and Agrippa.. The rushing of history is what turned me off about Season 2. Thought the latter Octavian may have been more historically accurate (which was pretty much a rarity on this show) I had already bought into Max as Octavian and it simply never felt like it was the same person. I hope Max returns to acting soon.
    There was also an element of laziness in certain important scenes where they seemed to take shortcuts and easy outs (killing of Cicero, killing of Erastes' Aventine gang, appearance of Pullo in the Egyptain desert after the death of Antony and Cleopatra etc).
    Would have been nice had they taken a season or two to cover each Caesar, through Tiberius, Nero and Caligula etc. until the fall of Rome..

6. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Since this week's past episode had, by all fans' of the series, biggest twist, I was wondering what newcomers to the series thought of it?

Obviously, won't reveal the twist for those not caught up to their DVR/HBO OnDemand yet...

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. I thought it was excellent. The twist is one of those that never happens and you just assume it won't.

8. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Agreed. It was also the moment I thought that the books were truly worth reading. When things like that happen, you know that the author is willing to go to places that most wouldn't.

9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

My wife was crushed. Don't think she's over it yet. It's those rare moments that having not read the books pays off.

10. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

My girlfriend had not read the books, and was close to tears (although she cries over a lot of film drama, so maybe it doesn't count). As a reader of the books, I thought the show handled it brilliantly. But I think they've done a fairly brilliant job with the entire first book.

Ned is still probably my favorite character in the stories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar