Freeney hit hard in wallet for comments on officials

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky </em> <p>Speak your mind, pay the price.</p> <p>In exchange for expressing his true feelings about three calls against the Colts in overtime of their opening round playoff loss a week ago, Colts defensive end <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3539" target="_new">Dwight Freeney</a> was <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3823511" target="_blank">fined $20,000</a>.</p> <p>The Indianapolis Star reported the fine for these quotes obtained by Yahoo.com:</p> <p>"Those were the worst [expletive] calls I've seen in a long time ... To have a game of that magnitude taken out of your hands, it's just disgusting. It's not like they made one [expletive] bad call -- it's three calls, in overtime ... They need to start investigating some other [expletive]."</p>

More...

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

maybe they can use all of the money from the players' fines to buy some decent officials?

3. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

We feel you're pain Freeney ...... we feel you're pain.

4. Bobo

Bobo Guest

The NFL wants things to be fair, and this is especially true with the advent of the replay review. I totally understand when players or coaches see things one way, yet the refs call something different. Whether they are right or wrong, criticizing someone shouldn't cost you a lot of money. I just don't understand that.

And besides that, the NFL should look more into getting **** right on the field. I don't care if it means more time replaying things (college is doing it now), getting it right should be the most important thing.

5. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Or, a larger play clock. :rolleyes:

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Officials need to be full time. There is more and more pressure on the NFL for changes, especially after all that happened this year.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

if anything they need to be younger and in better shape.

i don't see why guys in their 50's are expected to be able to run with guys who are in peak physical condition.

8. Morph

Morph Revolution

I guess they assume guys in their 50's are wiser. What a joke. Some type of buzzer that Jeff mentioned in an earlier post somewhere would be a good idea I think though. The refs could even wear an ear piece to hear it so it wouldn't be so annoying or whatever but then again that might interfere with their hearing aid.

9. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

I feel a booth ref would be able to add to the accuracy. TV angles allow a person to see so much more than being on the field.

I put more of the blame on the NFL for not making the job easier than I do the individual refs themselves. They're human, they're going to make mistakes. But, in a billion dollar league where a game can be determined from just 1 blown call, the NFL needs to have an error-free system. To do that, like Jeff said, we need to use as much technology and angles as we can to get it right.

It's sad for someone to be home on their couch, or 60,000 fans to see a playclock hit 0, and the 1 person that actually matters doesn't see it. The system is a joke and I feel really bad for teams who come up on the bad end of obvious blown calls...this week's lucky team is the Titans.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Lots of great points.

I'd just like to see the profession receive more respect. An official for a multi-billion dollar sports entertainment industry ought to earn enough for a decent living and that to be his only job.

I agree about the in-shape part. I think for safety and ability they should be involved in some kind of moderate workout program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar