Fisher Holding Out Hope McNair Remains QB in '06

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, May 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

We can wish upon a star all we want, Mac is gone.

2. Sukrillux

Sukrillux Guest

I agree... If we must get rid of Air Mac, let's use the extra money on the defense. The Titans need to get back to being a dominant, feared defense like they were with the Freak for a few years. Personally, I don't see Mac renegotiating since he is looking for longevity over the salary. The Titans may only be willing to give him this year or maybe this and next, but they didn't draft VY to let him sit for 3-4 years. I'm not hating on #9. I am one of McNair's biggest fans on and off the field. However, what if we get to week 3, 4, or 5 and Mac is injured already? We will be using Volek anyway. In that situation, we will have sacrificed improving our defense for signing the "one man offense"... again. Fisher and Reese have already said that they don't want to throw VY "to the wolves" and they are wanting to sit him for at least a year. I say improve the defense... get another LB and a vet corner.

3. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

I doubt it'll happen but we need Mac back if we're going to have fighting chance in hell of having a winning season. If he does leave, I would rather start Vince than Volek. I mean really, how much better can Billy be even as a vet than Vince would be. Sure, he would struggle and we would most likely ony win between 4 and 7 games but at least there would be some optimism fot the next year. Even if Volek is the starter I highly doubt he makes it through the majority of the season with some sort of injury that keeps him out for several games.

4. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

Mcnair will be wearing blue this season or fisher will be weaing pink if u kno what i mean..

5. Archtitan

Archtitan Guest

Disclaimer: Huge McNair Fan.

I still feel like we're two years away from having a winner, because neither Billly Volek nor Vince Young can get you to the playoffs at this juncture. Volek almost looks like he's peaked already (remember how good he looked in Year 3?) and is fragile, and Young is too...well, young. Really try to picture in your mind Billy Volek quarterbacking the Titans to an 11-win season. It's like trying to visualize the fourth dimension - you can't do it.

Now imagine McNair at the helm with the added talent at WR, RB and, crucially, the OL. You can easily see him having a Renaissance year. Three years removed from the MVP is not a long time. Let him shepherd Young a year, and maybe, in the process, get one last shot as Titans quarterback to win a Super Bowl - in the unlikely event we catch lightning in a bottle next year.

6. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I couldn't agree more.

I don't think I'd want to throw in there Vince so soon. We've spent a lot of money on him, and I'd hate to see him end up like Carr. With the attitude he's shown so far this offseason though, I think we could see Young sometime around week 10.

7. TITANZFN09

TITANZFN09 Starter

How soon we forget.

Maybe Steve has lost a little bit of his skills...I wont disagree. But some of you guys are really forgetting who the man was that made the Titans contenders Volek,Chandler,the Billiy Joes, no it was Steve McNair.Now I have one question.."if Steve gave in and took a pay cut would you guys still be putting him out to pasture?"

8. TitanFanBudMan

TitanFanBudMan Professor

There have been two posts in this thread that say that our OL is better?.....ok, we replaced Hartwig with Mawae. Hartwig was rated higher in Free Agency because of the youth so I will call that a wash. We lost Hopkins. How exactly is our OL better? I agree with LB, S, WR as being upgraded, but not the OL. I don't think it matters who the QB is, if we don't upgrade the OL, we are in trouble. Who exactly is starting at RT with Roos moving to LT?

9. no not at all, i would be glad if he stayed, but i just dont see it happening, and i would still wear my vince young titans jersey instead

10. Titanville

Titanville Need New Coach

Some of you people really live in the past waaaaay too much. Yes McNair was good possibly great in his MVP year. The key word here is WAS. He hasn't played worth a crap since then be it from injuries or what not. I sat at all the home games last year and watched the rest on the tube. Unless it was a tightend running a 5 yard route, he didn't hit them hardly ever. Over their head here, at their feet there, or right to the other team. I am not a McNair hater and I don't think Volek is some savior or that he can lead us to a playoff, but Steve sure can't lead us there anymore either. I think we will have to wait out another rough year before we will see much light at the end of the tunnel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar