Fisher # 3 in Best Coaches list

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by avvie, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Yes but that's what happens with every team week in and week out. What you have to do is be able to put the team in the best position to win. Having a coach for 16 years and pretty much nothing to show for it means it's time for a change. You say who to replace him with but look at the coaches we're missing out on by just keeping Fisher (Payton and Tomlin for example).

2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

You make some decent points here. I'll give you that. However, the thing you aren't considering is that we have a much larger sample size for JF than most other coaches. Fish is entering his 16th full season as Oilers/Titans head coach. How much of his playoff failure can you realistically blame on bad luck and breaks not going his way?

As for the Cowher/Fisher comparison, all you have to do is take a quick look at their playoff records/results to see the difference in the two. It may have taken awhile for Cowher to produce a championship but he was at least consistently taking his teams deep into the playoffs.

Cowher:
    10 playoff appearances in 15 seasons
    6 Conference championship appearances
    2 Super Bowl appearances
    1 Super Bowl win

Fisher:
    6 playoff appearances in 15 seasons
    2 Conference championship appearances
    1 Super Bowl appearance
    0 Super Bowl wins

It's really not even close when you look at their post-season success. It's annoying to see the two compared so often as if they are clones or something.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Sean Payton's first four years are almost identical to Jeff Fisher's. The difference was that one play. I can hardly Blame Jeff Fisher for Mike Jones making a great defensive play.

year one: 10-6 8-8
    year two: 7-9 8-8
    Year three:8-8 13-3(super bowl appearance for Fisher)
    Year four:13-3 13-3(super bowl win for Payton)

And Mike Tomlin inherited a a super bowl champion.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

make that 0 SB wins for Fisher Sawdustman, but I agree with the post. I respect Fisher and he does his Schottenheimer best during the championship season. Unfourtunatly he does his Schottenheimer during the post season as well.

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

LOL typo, obviously. Fixed.

6. globelieves

globelieves Starter

Love him or hate him, Fisher doesn't deserve such a high rating w/o a Super Bowl win. Keep in mind, the Titans single appearance in the big game took a "miracle". Winning percentages are fine, but that's not what fans, players, and coaches really want. Fisher is well liked by the media, and he has senority, this is why he ranked so high. That said, only twice over the years have I wanted him gone. (Both times Bud stepped in instead.) I think Fisher will get another shot at the AFC Championship within the next few years, and I hope he proves he does have what it takes to win the big one.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Bottom line.... I'd rather go 3-13 with a new coach and know we at least took a shot than go 9-7 with JF and get bounced in the first round of the playoffs again.

Enough is enough. He isn't getting it done. Period. I want to win a championship... not merely be "consistently respectable".

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

So what I'm getting from this thread so far is that if Mike Jones doesn't make that tackle Jeff Fisher would have gotten a pass for the last nine years?

I have to call BS on that. The argument would be, "That Super Bowl victory was nine years ago!"

9. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

What I'm getting from this thread is that Jeff Fisher has 5 playoff wins in 15 seasons (three of which came in a single season).

10. globelieves

globelieves Starter

At least we aren't stuck w/ Jack Del Rio!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar