Firestone Tire Shop

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TBC_titan, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Everyone,
    I would like to post fair warning to stay away from Firestone shops, particularly the one in Hickory Hollow.
    Allow me to explain why.
    I recently replaced the steering rack on my 1989 Integra. I found out the rack was bad because I took it into the HH Firestone and had them do the $20 inspection. I was satisfied with their conduct and service at that point. They quoted me a price to replace it, but I had plans on replacing it myself.
    So, after a grueling removal of old, installation of new, I took it back to them the next morning for an alignment. Now, keep in mind, at the time I didn't know they used the innter tie rod ends to make their adjustments and purposely only hand tightened the castle nuts(with the cotter pin), so they could take the tie rod ends out when they needed to.
    Well, I get to the shop and ask for an alignment and two new front tires. The quote was going to be about $240. Well, they came in the waiting room and told me the tie rod ends weren't tightened. I told them why.
    Then...they had the nerve to come out and tell me that they could tighten the tie rod ends, but it was going to cost me an ADDITIONAL $40 to tighten them down. Forty dollars mind you, to tighten two 17mm bolts.
    I was livid. I told them to drop the car off the lift and give it back to me. I told them that I'd tighten them myself and to cancel that quote/estimate.
    I wound up getting two tires from a small shop on Nolensville and got the alignment at Five O Five downtown. My total after those two was something like $185 (about $55 less than what Firestone wanted to charge me). And 5 0 5 didn't charge me a dime to tighten those tie rod ends down. And, even with the gas I used driving all over the place, it was STILL less.
    I will never patronize another Firestone store as long as I live. And if any of you don't want to get nickeled and dimed for a bunch of crap that other shops wouldn't charge you anything for, you'll steer clear of them too.
    If any of you work at anyone of these shops, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I've been fairly happy with the Firestone in Franklin. But I usually only use them for oil changes (with a coupon). One nice thing is they inspect the car and will give you some ideas of upcoming needs.

Last week, they told me of the need for a new radiator but I had my regular mechanic do the job knowing it would be better and cheaper.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I use Expert Tire in Columbia and they seem to be very good and honest. Like Jeff, I have another mechanic I use for the more major repairs but for small things and oil changes as well as tires I almost always use Expert Tire.
    The oil changes are cheap with the coupons and of course I can keep my tires rotated and balanced at the same time.

4. eTitan81

eTitan81 Touchdown Titans

I usually go to Firestone for my alignments also. I went there about a week ago and had no problems except I thought it was kinda bogus they charged me like $7 for shop rags and paper floor mats. Riverside Firestone in Clarksville.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

i never go to fire stone...crappy tires...crappy service...

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about!
    HTF do you get away with something like that, especially in this economy?

I was more than ready to give them almost $250 of my money. They shouldn't have even thought about charging me to tighten those tie rod castle nuts to begin with, let alone $40 freakin dollars!
    Now, instead of them getting the $250 from me, they get precisely dick.
    And I will ensure I tell everyone about their practices. I would go back over there and let the mgr/district mgr or owner know but I think it'd be a moot point. I'm just hoping that what happened to Bill Heard Chevrolet will happen to them too.

They were also going to charge me another $20 to do an inspection of the pump and other components on top of that.

When someone is paying you a healthy amount for a service like that, you don't start nickel and diming them for stuff you shouldn't be charging for anyway.

Also 5 0 5 charged me $39.95 for an alignment plus tax. Firestone's was going to be $79.99, and that didn't include the $40 for tightening those castle nuts, which 5 0 5 did for free.

7. mdfan

mdfan Starter

8. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

I would, but like I said, I think it would be a moot point. I think all I can do now is to educate as many consumers as I can to their greed.

There are places you can get tires much cheaper, and quicker, with better cust. serv, and places that won't nickel and dime you over stupid stuff. There are also places you can get an alignment done cheaper.

But since they are within their rights to charge for every little thing, I can't report them to the Better Business Bureau. The only thing I can do is to warn customoers.

9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Reminds me of the time Rose Auto Parts sold me the wrong spark plugs for my old RX7. The plugs they sold me were improper in depth and blew the engine. They tried to not take responsibility for about a month. After making their lives hell I eventually did get a $2500 check for the rotary rebuild I had have done but the amount of time spent fighting them alone was worth more than that amount..

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I don't think firestone compares to the evil that Bill Heard was doing. And why not just send an email, phone a manager or something? Saying it's a moot point just seems kind of like you're a drama queen that wants to start a big fuss over 40 dollars and never let it go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar