Fat Phil gets a raise!!????

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by KTOWN TITAN, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Alex...

I agree with your statement. I think Fulmer's biggest fault, which at times has also been his biggest asset, is his loyalty. While it worked with Chavis, it was a disaster with Sanders and some position coaches. By hiring a coordinater outside of the "family", it was perhaps the biggest outside the box hiring since he has been there. It is a risk by a coach that honestly hasn't taken any in a while. I'm optimistic, but hey, everyone is optimistic at this time of the year.

2. KTOWN TITAN

KTOWN TITAN Orca Fighter

Sanders was the fall guy for Fulmer's disaster. Sanders is not doing all that bad up at UK.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Those guys are living off talent as well, however their coaching strategies work in the year 2008. Coaches like Carr and Fulmer's do not.
    Alex - you nailed it. Like I said, he's the Lloyd Carr of UT. Outdated style, and he wont adjust to the times. This is why he'll never figure out a spread offense, and why he thinks winning by a field goal is a good plan.

As for having a commit in a top RB and top QB. Great. 2 "top" commits in 2 years is a great recruiting job! They didn't even finish in the top 25 in recruiting for 2008. That's very sad. As if they didn't even try.
    They would have had Threet, but since Cutcliffe left they missed out.
    So now Phil is in an even tougher position. No great QB coach. No high level of talent. This will let us know how good he is.

Giles and Nunes are good pickups IF they actually sign on at UT. But with this much time left, I wouldn't count those eggs yet.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I've been anticipating college football a great deal lately and was thinking about Phil.

As a vols fan, I do appreciate what a great coach Fulmer has been for the university, overall.

15 Seasons, 146-44, .769 winning percentage, 1 National Championship, 2 SEC Championships.

That's only 27 wins behind Robert Neyland.

The new OC will be interesting, and the talent appears to be there. As bad as it was in 2005, another national championship, and Fulmer would be one of the best coaches in the past two decades, if he isn't already.

:guzzle:

Not that there aren't a lot of negatives. Our bowl record has been lousy since the NC season. And 2 conference championships in 15 years isn't exactly dominant. And Phil will probably always end up as an A+ recuriter/ B- coaching.

But overall, almost all college programs would take that as a guaranteed outcome over a 15 year period.

5. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

It would be interesting to see a list of coach's from the last 15 years ranked according to how much Bowl money they've won for their school. Phil would have to be near or at the top.

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Pete Carroll, Spurrior, or Fulmer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar