DVR/DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Gear' started by TitanJeff, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't know if such a beast exists or is affordable but I thought I could bring the question to the gear heads around here.

I am looking for something I can record high-def movies, Titans games, etc. along with burn a few to DVD. If it played DVDs (high-def, blue ray), that would be even better.

Any recommendations?

2. Would it need to burn HD DVDs (either bluray or HDDVD), or just standard DVDs? That's where it would get prohibitively expensive...

3. TitanJeff

For cost reasons, I would have to go with a standard DVD.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

a few stand alone external BluRay / HDDVD burners are coming into markets .... but they're costly ($650)

I'm disappointed in DVD-Recorders as a whole
    the first one I bought 5 years ago or so had COMPONENT INPUTS
    and I can only find a few with such inputs today

most only allow for input via S-Video
    unless you can output HD via iLink or HDV then it really doesn't matter, the quality of the video will be degraded significantly

the best record HD programming with an HD-DVR, like Comcast's Motorola units, and attempt to offload those to an external storage device for archiving

5. I don't know of any standalone HD-DVR that also burns DVDs. But you should be able to get a DVR as well as a standalone DVD burner (or just use a computer for that job).

Also, burning HD content onto standard DVDs is going to be a problem. It just won't fit for something as long as a movie or football game, not unless you are compressing it (which you could do on a computer).

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

furthermore .......
    a 4 pack of BR-R (BluRay-Recordable) is $75

i have yet to see BR-RW

7. TitanJeff

Good point. I totally forgot about the HD to standard DVD thing.

Comcast has a DVR cable box but I find it unreliable and with not enough storage. I'd like to get something I can run with the HD box.

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

my bad ..... I should have said EXTERNAL BURNER

there is currently NO home theater component unit that burns HD
    and there probably won't be for quite some time

the closest thing we'll see is people burning stuff from there PC's in the H.264 codec

9. I'd suggest looking into a way to copy the video to a computer. From there, you can store them on a bigger HD or compress them and burn them to DVD.

Technically, you could turn a computer into both the DVR and DVD burner all in one. But that may be above and beyond what you are willing to do.

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

....... or tolerant of ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar