Draft a WR @ 11!.....

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

One more thing about Watkins. Not i repeat not, a dynamic return man. Not as good as Harvin or Patterson in that dept. Averaged 22.9 yards per kick return and 3.8 yards a punt return(Only 6 returns).

2. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

Agreed. He's a good player but I just don't get why people are acting like he's some freak prospect. He's not as good as Julio or AJ. He looks like a college version of Mike Wallace to me.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

Way too many holes to go after a wr at 11. I understand BPA but there is usually a caveat put on that. BPA at a position that makes sense. It makes 0 sense to take a wr at 11 when we just drafted 2 high in the past 2 years. We are solid at wr. No need to take one.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

That's exactly the mentality that caused us to have a crappy draft in 2003 that basically ended our run as a super bowl contender. We filled holes. We could have drafted Jason Witten but it was not an urgent need area so f*ck it and take Woolfolk and Calico instead. That season Wycheck gets concussed and his career was basically over. Too bad right?

That same attitude caused us to grab Pacman Jones and not even consider Aaron Rogers in 2005. What do we need with another QB we had Mcnair? That would be Mcnair's last year and we never had a top quality Qb since.

Of course with Mcnair gone and we had to fill that "hole" with VY the following year. yeah real smart drafting there. And here we are today.

Right, pass on a Josh Gordon type talent just because we have other holes. Good policy.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

How did Josh Gordon lead the league in receiving yards with a bunch of backup QBs? Campbel-, Weeden-Hoyer? Their TE also had 80 catches.

I thought great WRs were wasted on mediocre QBs. And of course great Wrs had nothing to do with why a career backup put up great numbers with the Bears.

6. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Normally I would agree with you and say you are right but we really are good enough at WR right now to not take on in the early rounds if at all. I do agree with your thinking in that sometimes you just have to take the best player on the board if regardless of position if that player is star. BUT We are solid with Washington, Wright, Hunter, Preston and Mariani.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Mariani is not even on the team, Preston is a fringe player who has done nothing to date.. Washington is in his final year. You don't draft a guy for one year you draft a guy for 5 years. Hopefully more than that.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I'm not saying we have to take a WR but why put limits on yourself when you draft? You have guys saying similar things in discussions about DBs.We need front 7 guys first etc. That is a policy of disaster.

Then you have to think of impact. WRs are big time impact players in this league. A top 10 WR is more of an impact then a nose tackle.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I totally agree with the thinking. If there is a legit can't-miss star on the board that isn't a position of need you make the exception and draft them anyway. I just don't know of any WRs in this draft that fit the bill. Plus with a new regime in here I am even more open to take BPA regardless of position. It would be ideal to get dynamite defensive playmaker but I trust Ruston and company to do their homework and make the right pick.

10. xhrr

xhrr Starter

I understand what you're getting at and it makes sense if they guy is a once in a decade type talent. There is good talent in just about every draft but people get too enamored with guys because he is the best at his position or we have a hole or whatever that reason may be. The best teams consistently draft a lot of lineman and LB's. Look at the 49ers, Bengals, Giants, Panthers, Seahawks, etc. It's not like the World Champions go out and draft secondary guys super high they got lucky with a few and drafted one of them in the first round. The rest were mid round and late round guys with the front seven being the superstars that make them look good. BPA absolutely but some players have higher values placed on them due to their position. How did all those first round WR's work for the Lions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar